Who is starting seeds indoors this season?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
So...any of you growing onion seeds and NOT using grow lights? If so, how long does it take them to get from these little hairs into a fuller, three leaves plant? So far I've got hairs and the hairs aren't doing much of anything. Just looking fragile and limp, though watered well.

Planted on Jan 20th, germinated around the 23-24th but since then not much happening.

destinduck

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
some sugar snaps,seed potatoes(purple,red and yellow) purple speckled butter beans,first time with nasturtium,yellow passionfruit,second batch of spinach,sweet tamarind,sugar apple and artichokes to name a few ...seed wise. All outside getting poured on last 2 days. lol! Good luck growing everyone this year:thumbsup

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So...any of you growing onion seeds and NOT using grow lights? If so, how long does it take them to get from these little hairs into a fuller, three leaves plant? So far I've got hairs and the hairs aren't doing much of anything. Just looking fragile and limp, though watered well.

Planted on Jan 20th, germinated around the 23-24th but since then not much happening.
Haven't started my onion seeds yet. Just picked them up this Friday but they will be planted soon. I have a sun room -- stays at least 40 degrees in the coldest of our temperatures -- so I can start the onions out there without grow lights. They do take a bit of time to look like they are happy to be growing, but they will grow. And those early plantings will give you better onion plants when it's time to put them outside.

Once mine get over three inches tall, I take a pair of sharp scissors and give them an inch haircut. It seems to me that clipping them enourages new leaf growth and stronger plants much like pinching centers out of marigolds encourages bushy plants.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just realized I have a bunch of old small onions growing like crazy in the dark basement. I wonder if I could grow new bulb onions from them if I cut off the tops and plant them? They are the dregs of some I grew from plants last year. Candy or something similar.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@so lucky ,

doesn't it seem likely that they would bolt to seed?

That could provide you with seed for next year's onions.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cut off the tops and plant the tops or cut the tops off the onions and plant the bulbs?

I've had the same situation in the spring from time to time. I just plant the whole thing. The bulbs will regrow from the center out and I get firm onions. They are more likely to bolt -- go to seed -- if planted as two-year olds. I just cut the seed ste

Latest posts