Who is starting seeds indoors this season?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's the best way to determine if your soil is warm enough for planting.
Go out to the garden and in the middle of it, drop your bibs and your skivvies, sit down in the fresh tilled soil. If you feel comfortable, not too chilled, pull your britches up and start planting....

THANX RICH

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@MagicMama, any of those things that you have listed is good for seed starting. The trick is to get more than one season out of them, and that means take good care of them AND plan where you intend to store them for next year. I am a big recycler. I ended up with an old and tall plastic storage bin, about 4 ft tall, 18 inches wide, that was formerly used for storing salt for a water conditioner. I keep packages of seed starting soil in it. It isn't really soil and it doesn't really go bad. I store breakable pots on the metal rack where I am now starting seeds. My DD's replaced the wooden box behind the tool shed with a Rubbermaid gardening shed and I keep lots of tools there, like my spades and my weed killers and sprayers. I have a place for seeds and for extra gloves, although some of my storage is for clothing, etc. that serves double duty, farm animal chores and gardening.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
was looking over the super sprouter heat mat.....
it says in the description Warms root area approximately 10°F - 20°F over ambient temperature to improve germination process

guess you need a thermometer to keep an eye on the soil temp....

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yikes, I feel so far behind. I will start the onions in February, but I haven't even ordered my seeds yet this year. Maybe I will get to it this weekend.
I start onion seeds in a kitchen top sprouter and then transplant to soil.

I used to use an old waterbed heater under other seeds. Now we have a masonry heater to heat the house and it has a warming bench. Pepper and tomato seeds go in small squares of moist paper towel (labeled by variety), and then into a zip lock bag and put on the warming bench. The seeds that sprout get planted. I like this method because it eliminates an old bad habit: staring at the seed pot and wondering where the sprouts are, I cannot resist the urge to start digging with a toothpick to see what is going on under the dirt, sometimes doing more harm than good!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I put the heat mat under the lettuces. First, I have discovered that there is no germination, probably due to old seeds, so I reseeded.
Secondly, I noticed condensation. This is "fog" which, according to the Weather Channel, occurs when the air temperature and dew point are the same. So...looks like my basement shelf has reached ambient air temperature with the heat mat.

Latest posts