Who keeps a Written Address Book ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Texting isn't tough. One doesn't have to dance to the ringtone or walk to the beat of cyberspace. Some would be phoneless without as well as phoneless outside of the range of a cell tower. A text message is a note in the shirt pocket.

Let's see ... texting a note ... hold on just a moment ... there it is ... now to copy and paste it here.

See how your address book could be on hand just about anywhere?!
  • Central Intelligence Agency
  • McLean, VA 22101

• National Security Agency
  • Fort Meade, MD 20755

• Federal Bureau of Investigation
  • Washington, DC 20535
Simple as that.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not promoting smart phones BUT,

Say: text DigitS'
Say message
Say send. Done!

Now Steve gets it, reads it when convenient for him, responds when convenient. Think email without having to go to computer.

Even got my 75 year old friend to love texting as his g'kids respond immediately. Unfortunately my wife abuses it with kids. Once they respond to one, here comes 1,000 questions/comments from her......then she gets mad when they won't text after 1,000...:barnie

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is that positive side to the text thing, getting your grown kids to communicate with you.

My 28 year old doesn't respond real well to a phone call and a message to call me back, but does get back to a text pretty promptly. I don't abuse it, mostly because I have to type my texts on my old dumb phone and I'm not that good with my opposable thumbs. :p

The other kid doesn't respond to anything much other than a face to face conversation....call him old fashioned. Or just non-communicative.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since he is boy, call him late for supper-quick attitude adjustment. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The other kid doesn't respond to anything much other than a face to face conversation....call him old fashioned. Or just non-communicative.

Maybe he's like me...not non-communicative, but just appreciating the best form of communication and the only one where you can really read all the aspects of communication...facial expression, tone, nuance, body language.

Everything else is just something you do when you have to, like talking on the phone, but if you really want to communicate with those you love, communicating in these other methods is like a pale, moon cast shadow to the real thing.

We are slowly but surely losing the art of conversation and complex communication and gaining only these short cuts to the people we love. Just think of the statement "my kid won't communicate with me unless I text"....who's training who at this point?

To me, if you can't take time for a real conversation and/or a visit with those you love, you've missed what life is all about and what the value of time actually is.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
True, Kid#1 may be training me, but we aren't often in a position for in-person visits due to work schedules and distance. We have no problem conversing with one another in each others company, and one of the things I enjoy immensely is when he has the open time to help me with my gardening business and we can talk all day about all manner of things deep or casual. I'll be happy with the texts in between times. :)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
my computer at work died last month, it had years of very important e-mail addresses, once i get a new computer will definitely write them down and put them on a flash stick....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, does your business have a facebook page? I was just thinking you could make a post telling your customers what happened- and have them check in with you? I do have a written address book...but, I am old and old fashioned!

Latest posts