Whole30 Diet

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a Paleo diet. We have done this at our gym with a lot of people noticing the difference. Me, I didn't notice anything. One way to lose weight is to get sick. I've been sick and have lost 5 lbs. Those were the ones I wanted to lose so now that I'm feeling better I hope to maintain.

I also am eating only foods that I cook myself for 30 days. That should pretty much cut out processed foods and junk food. I thought it was going to be hard to let go of my ice cream but not too bad. But I crave Hawaiian chips.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This might be what DD is doing ...

I had the idea that it was a 30 day challenge, taken as a group. And, that it was the paleo diet. Yeah, this must be it ...

If it's lean meats, it seems to me that the diet would cut calories fairly well. Yes, I don't quite understand the anti-legume thinking. I've tolerated DW's perennial interest in chicken soup long enough. She said that we were gonna have cream of cauliflower 2 days ago but we have been stuck cleaning up NY's Day leftovers, beef roast and chicken wings mostly but there's potatoes, carrots & celery root. Soup! A picture of lentil soup I saw today sure looked good. We have enough broth for most anything.

No dairy, huh? There was a time when I went off to a new job, new town with next to no money! I almost lived on potatoes and cheese! That's what I took to work in my lunch pail, even ... Bay, you can do this. Maybe you won't have the cheese but eggs?! Oh yeah, there's eggs ... with mushrooms!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This sounds like the old Atkins diet to me. Except-I think you can have cheese on Atkins..? It does take the weight off but you gain it back if you fall off the wagon. You have to really commit yourself to stop depending on bread and pasta. And cookies. And cupcakes. And brownies.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since last winter when I had my foot surgery, I just never picked up my level of activity back to normal. For me, inactivity leads to pain which leads to depression which leads to inactivity. Started me gaining weight which I have not been able to shed yet.
Oh, and I seem to get hungry just about bedtime. I hear that night time eating is really bad. And somehow, a nice little salad does not quite satisfy at midnight.
I have been going to the gym, so hopefully the increased activity will start paying off soon.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, night time eating is the worst because it doesn't let your body switch from burning the easy energy the liver has stored to burning energy converted from fat. if you don't have enough fiber for supper you'll feel hungry later.

finding out how many calories a day you burn doing different levels of activity is very important, because once you get it figured out you can run just a little lean on calories and not feel like you are really starving. if you go minus 50 - 100 calories a day (not even a slice of buttered bread) you can peel off a pound or two a month without changing anything else. if you build muscles and keep active to keep your metabolism up you can burn a lot more calories, but you will feel hungry.

your stomach does shrink and your body will adjust, but it does take time to do this.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds good, but agree it sounds like Atkins. I could not lose and mostly was weak.I probably did not eat enough vegetables. I found out if I do not have at least a piece of toast, some carbs with my eggs, I will be lightheaded at noon and now DS is the same. Actually, DD and DH was also. I will not touch my coffee until I have ate my breakfast. I listened to a video of Dr. Fuhrman today. He said to prevent heart disease,strokes and cancer to everyday do these 5 things.
1. Eat a large salad.
2. Eat 1 to 3 oz of nuts and seeds.
3. Eat half a cup to 1 cup of beans a day.
4. Eat a good size portion of cooked greens with onions and mushroom.
5. Eat 3 fresh fruits a day, at least one being a serving of berries.
I am going to try to do these 5 things, and eat less of meat, butter, sugar, carbs. I tried his diet before, totally did not cheat. My skin was so dry. You get your oil from nuts on his diet and no way in the world could I eat enough to not dry out. I think meat is very important, so I do not know who to believe, but these 5 things seem doable and healthy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like having a diet where it is -- Eat This!

I don't like diets where it is - don't eat this or that.

The foods of different cultures throughout the world may be responsible for limiting lifetimes and reproduction. Food deprivation certainly does but varied choices are generally beneficial and the variety worldwide is great! Somewhere, humans are eating all sorts of things and have for thousands of generations. We should join them ;).

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sounds good, but agree it sounds like Atkins. I could not lose and mostly was weak.I probably did not eat enough vegetables. I found out if I do not have at least a piece of toast, some carbs with my eggs, I will be lightheaded at noon and now DS is the same. Actually, DD and DH was also. I will not touch my coffee until I have ate my breakfast. I listened to a video of Dr. Fuhrman today. He said to prevent heart disease,strokes and cancer to everyday do these 5 things.
1. Eat a large salad.
2. Eat 1 to 3 oz of nuts and seeds.
3. Eat half a cup to 1 cup of beans a day.
4. Eat a good size portion of cooked greens with onions and mushroom.
5. Eat 3 fresh fruits a day, at least one being a serving of berries.
I am going to try to do these 5 things, and eat less of meat, butter, sugar, carbs. I tried his diet before, totally did not cheat. My skin was so dry. You get your oil from nuts on his diet and no way in the world could I eat enough to not dry out. I think meat is very important, so I do not know who to believe, but these 5 things seem doable and healthy.
Yes, some people will loose weight on this diet or any other touted diet. However, for me, I would gain 10 pounds in 2 weeks and my blood sugar would jump at least 100 points with this diet. Totally unhealthy for me ! The diet that actually works for an individual depends on their genetics and what disease that they suffer from.

Latest posts