Why are some of my plants discolored?

EKYHomesteader

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
WxuRKyXRSPicFemVhmYFaQ.jpg

Normal plant.

IMG_0014.JPG

Slightly purple-tinted plant.

So, I got these plants for free. They were discolored when I got them, and most of them have came out of it. These plants are next to each other. I think it is probably a nutrient deficiency of some sort.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I read this in a Facebook group a few weeks ago. I forgot what the cause was. :barnie

Grasping strings here but it was too long in a small pot, or too cold... :idunno

EKYHomesteader

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I read this in a Facebook group a few weeks ago. I forgot what the cause was. :barnie

Grasping strings here but it was too long in a small pot, or too cold... :idunno

Probably small pot. I think they were a little deficient when I got them. I suspect a phosphorus deficiency. Will Epsom salts help with that?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 26758

Normal plant.

View attachment 26759

Slightly purple-tinted plant.

So, I got these plants for free. They were discolored when I got them, and most of them have came out of it. These plants are next to each other. I think it is probably a nutrient deficiency of some sort.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

when did you plant them?

has it rained a lot recently or been rather cloudy?

one year not too long ago we had a June that was so cloudy the plants hardly grew for weeks, then they finally got going and ended up doing just fine.

epsom salts have no phosphorus (they are magnesium sulfate) and the pH of epsom salts is fairly neutral.

if you know your soil is very acidic or very basic you can start adjusting that, but usually this sort of thing can be corrected by adding more organic matter to the garden soil. and in your case, the soil looks like it lacks organic matter, improve that as it will adjust your pH and give the soil community organisms something to feed on which will often make the phosphates in soil more available to plants. fungi will set up extensive networks for trading nutrients with plants, but you have to avoid deeply tilling and have some organic material in the soil for this to work well (and also have the right fungal species, but with the millions of fungi out there there's a good chance some of them are already in your garden soil you just have to encourage them a bit).

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
From the texture of your soil, I’d guess it is from being root bound so that some haven’t rooted down and when the soil gets hot, the plant takes defensive measures and shuts down. Some things to try:

Use straw to place mulch barrier around plant. Cools the soil.
Water with some dilute fertilizer-key is dilute as they don’t need fertilizer burn.
Purpling is from plant producing sugars with nowhere to go with them.
Check your soil pH. Bet it is acidic.

EKYHomesteader

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think I have figured it out. I noticed a few dead marigolds, and pulled them up. The roots were brown. I am pretty sure I have plants dealing with root rot. I have some tomatoes and peppers that look like they are dealing with a. deficiency of some sort. Which, according to my research, is how root rot manifests itself above ground.

We have had a lot of rain, and our soil is primarily clay. Thus, it has not drained as well as it should have. Not to mention, the soil has been neglected for about four years without any soil organic matter applied since I was running the garden the first time.

Oh well. I hope I can keep most of my plants, and have a little to can. We are going into a dry stretch...

This fall, I have so much work to do with building this garden up.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
are you planting them in holes that collect water? we've got mostly clay soil here too and do not have root rot issues with the tomatoes, but i also don't have big holes around them for holding the water in. i keep the ground fairly level and only a slight well around the plants (from when initially planted, eventually it evens out as i weed or water).

Latest posts