WHY talk about an Air Fry Toaster Oven on the Herbs Forum?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ok. So I have this:

wrapped up to give to my eldest daughter, who has become quite the chef in the last few years. She has a "burning only" toaster, REALLY a fire hazard, and wanted a replacement. I found her this. The only reason I didn't buy the bigger one is space.
The REASON for this one, besides good quality, is that it is ALSO a dehydrator.
I used to have 2 dedicated dehydrators, YOU know, the ones with the stacking trays. One died, but I still used the other one this year and dehydrated my sweet pepper and jalepano harvest with it.
DD Really likes to use fresh herbs. I thought I would plant her some sage, thyme, certainly "grows like a weed" basil, which I can grab a bunch of my one and stuff them in the ground and watch them spread. Those herbs that I have dehydrated I think keep well in canning jars and still taste pretty good. Plus, I have 4 basil plants on top of my fridge that FINALLY decided to sprout up and reach for the light, and I could give her a couple of them, if they make it through the winter.
Does anybody have any experience with this machine for dehydrating?

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuckShe has yet to use it. I was trying to follow some video reviews. One said it is loud, and to be careful bc all of the them run hot. Air frying convection ovens are HOT this year, and was one of the most bought items on Black Friday.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do all of my summer baking in a toaster oven out on the porch, and I had an air fryer for a few months, but happily chucked it in the trash. (No fault of the air fryer....it just almost gave me a concussion falling off a shelf one day). Decided I wasn't going to replace it, because counter space is at a premium here and I'd rather have the toaster oven.

I did not know you could dehydrate in an air fryer...I have heard of dehydrating herbs in the microwave though. I have a regular dehydrator for my herbs and produce and to make yogurt in and proof bread. Lmk how the convection oven/air fryers work though...I might invest in one when my toaster oven dies!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some years ago we bought this Breville (link below). While air frying some food types work, other foods are better in oil, like fried chicken for example. These new machines shut off when done so that is nice to not overcook or burn food. The proofing and bread settings are really useful. I too have a couple of dedicated dehydrators with stacking trays, but for small batche where recipes are being worked out, the little oven shines. I like that the metal mesh trays can be tossed in a dishwasher where the round plastic trays of my dedicated driers require more care, are more brittle over time, and ultimately fail and have to be replaced no matter what I do.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Small batches, That is why I thought drying herbs would be perfect. Unlike vegetables you usually only harvest small batches at a time.
DD's have a dishwasher and they set it to run middle of the night. I like that the trays are dishwasher safe.
I have looked into dehydrating bananas to make chips, and I understand that you need to coat them in sugar to get the taste of the store bought ones.
Never been a fan of sun dried tomatoes, but I could see DD trying that and liking it better than me.
And...of course, there Will be toast!

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I dry everything I don't feel like eating right away or canning. The massive squash overload we get every summer? gets grated and dehydrated. Every kind of slow cooked soup or sauce I make gets a good handful of dried squash in it. If it cooks long enough, it just melts down, and even the pickiest eaters will happily eat it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dry everything I don't feel like eating right away or canning. The massive squash overload we get every summer? gets grated and dehydrated. Every kind of slow cooked soup or sauce I make gets a good handful of dried squash in it. If it cooks long enough, it just melts down, and even the pickiest eaters will happily eat it.
Great idea! I’ve been freezing it. Duh!

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dehydrating is a great way to preserve a small batch of something that doesn't freeze well. Just a couple of something? A few mushrooms left in the box and you are too sick of mushrooms to eat them? Only takes a few minutes to slap on the dehydrator! Slowly over the course of the summer I acquire enough bits and bobs of things to last me all winter. I tend to use them up in soups and casseroles, things I can toss them in without rehydrating them.

Once it gets hot enough that I need the air conditioner, I stick the dehydrator in a room far away from the thermostat and close the door. I once made the air run constantly for two days because I left it in the kitchen, too close to the thermostat. Oops, lol

Latest posts