Will A Rodent Eat Deodorant Soap ?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My parents never used the "soap in the mouth" trick. Dad had a thick black leather belt he favored. Mom used a different method. She'd send us out to bring in a switch, then used it with vigor. If we brought in a defective switch, say it was too small or was rotten wood so it broke, she'd use it then send us back out for a proper switch. Different parents have different methods.

I don't remember cursing or using foul language in my parent's hearing. Somehow I just knew it was not a wise thing to do. That didn't stop me from doing some other things though. I knew the diameter, length, and flexibility of the switch my Mom favored. She really liked one off of the privet bushes. Man, I hated that black belt of Dad's.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only once had my mouth washed out with soap. At the time it was believed " spare the rod spoil the child" My dad also would use his belt. My mother would use anything that was withen reach wooden spoon, hairbrush, yard stick and her bare hand. We where hit, never beaten, most of the times where given serval warnings to stop what we where doing.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The mention of sending a kid out to find their own switch reminded me of a story I heard several years ago and it really made me think:

A little girl was sent outside to find an appropriate limb for her dad to switch her with. She was gone for the longest time, but finally came back inside, lugging a big stone. She tearfully said "I couldn't find a stick, Daddy, but I brought this rock for you to hit me with."

OMG, I get all choked up even retelling this. What kind of message are kids receiving when we hit them with sticks? Or bare hands, for that matter?

rodeogirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
WOW, you folks must have been some REALLY bad kids!!!

THANX RICH
I only got the soap in the mouth once but my oldest brother was sitting in the bathroom with a bar of soap in his mouth least twice a week. I did get the belt a few times though.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where's the angel icon? I never dreamed of using bad language. In fact, I didn't even hear foul language even when my brother and his friends were swearing. For some reason the words just didn't register in my (sainted?) head.

Never got my mouth washed out although brother did a few times. Also didn't get hit with the belt -- such an angel, I must have been really sickening in brother and cousins' eyes -- but I do remember Dad using his belt on brother, sending him to bed, and then taking his belt to the couch while telling me to start crying and go to bed.