Will spring ever come?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Walter via JD... .you may appreciate this, i finally got sick of not having enough space or power on the old machine to mess around with the linux kernel source code...

I don't really know anything about Walter but DW was just bowled over by the looks of this puppet. She didn't actually say it but I'm trying to think that it's just his masculine good looks she admires. Besides, I've got more hair and I'm taller ...

Linux? I don't know lentils! A friend sent me a text the other night. He had bought a computer (of some sort??) for his girlfriend. He's 70. He didn't know how to turn it on! I figured that him using his flip phone for text was quite a big deal .. :).

No, if I had real computer skills, I'd use it for this: Large Cache of Text Offer Insight Into One of Africa’s Oldest Written Languages .

I thought about returning a book to the library when I stop by for something on American history I asked them to hold. Nope, I'm not taking Nabokov's Favorite Word is Mauve back just yet. I can, at least, read the chapter on cliches! I mean: cliches! (It's starting off fun ;). Anyway, it's about the computer analysis of writing and authorship. I'm trying to think how it might be applied to an ancient language. Also, wondering how something that was written only 2,000 years ago could have become more than somewhat lost.

The day is starting off sorta nice altho I can't quite figure out where the sun is. At least, the overcast isn't so heavy that it forewarns more rain. Just maybe, the sky will be bright enough to click off the greenhouse furnace ...

digitS'''

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't really know anything about Walter but DW was just bowled over by the looks of this puppet. She didn't actually say it but I'm trying to think that it's just his masculine good looks she admires. Besides, I've got more hair and I'm taller ...

Linux? I don't know lentils! A friend sent me a text the other night. He had bought a computer (of some sort??) for his girlfriend. He's 70. He didn't know how to turn it on! I figured that him using his flip phone for text was quite a big deal .. :).

No, if I had real computer skills, I'd use it for this: Large Cache of Text Offer Insight Into One of Africa’s Oldest Written Languages .

I thought about returning a book to the library when I stop by for something on American history I asked them to hold. Nope, I'm not taking Nabokov's Favorite Word is Mauve back just yet. I can, at least, read the chapter on cliches! I mean: cliches! (It's starting off fun ;). Anyway, it's about the computer analysis of writing and authorship. I'm trying to think how it might be applied to an ancient language. Also, wondering how something that was written only 2,000 years ago could have become more than somewhat lost.

The day is starting off sorta nice altho I can't quite figure out where the sun is. At least, the overcast isn't so heavy that it forewarns more rain. Just maybe, the sky will be bright enough to click off the greenhouse furnace ...

digitS'''

nowadays they can do some fun things for sure. for some reason i thought you were an ex-technical or currently sorta techie type person the name perhaps...

one of my possible topics in grad-school was language analysis so i often enjoy such side-tracks and i've always enjoyed archaeology and how much they can figure out (or at least think they are figuring out). imo there's not a whole lot new under the sun when it comes down to human behaviors. even when you layer technology on top of it and try to sugar coat it... Walter is our favorite character, if you've not actually watched any of the vids... he does curse, here or there. we don't as much, but once in a while one slips out. when i went to college i had to relearn how to talk and be more swivilized...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are hijacking Carol Dee's thread about winter weather in April :hide!

Okay, digitS' are loose and running for the border! When I thought of that forum name, I had just been reading about Hildegard von Bingen. Wikipedia says, "She is considered to be the founder of scientific natural history in Germany." A thousand years ago and while founding monasteries, "She wrote theological, botanical, and medicinal texts, as well as letters, liturgical songs, and poems..."

She wrote of the "Viriditas digiti Dei," or the "green fingers of God." And described the natural countryside as a blessing. Green thumb. Green fingers. Green digits.

There is also the "dig-it" horticultural activity and the "digital" social media. And, Digitalis purpurea -- Foxglove! A plant I first observed at the age of 3 in my grandmother's garden. They were much taller than I was and I was enchanted with looking up into the bells and trying to understand how Aesop's Fox would need to bother with them when trying to reach the grapes in the garden. Okay ;), that idea may not have come until I visited the public library children's room, several years later.

Steve & Friends of Distinction :D
The sun peekin' out between the leaves
Grazin' in the grass is a yes, baby, can you dig it?
And the birds dartin' in and out of the trees
Grazin' in the grass is a yes, baby, can you dig it?

Can you dig it, baby (link)?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to work Saturday, but was an hour late... had to remove the 1/4" ice cocoon which completely covered the entire car. A process made more difficult given that the freezing rain was re-coating everything faster than I could scrape it off, and drenching me in the process. :barnie

Still snowing now, and expected to continue for another day yet; we'll probably end up with 8-12" of snow, 1/4" of ice, and enough rain to keep everything slushy.This storm is a monster. Spring??? Really??? :idunno

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we'll post flower pictures!!!! :) rescue the thread! :)

cheer up, spring flower pictures, i took some the other day after hearing the coming forecast and wanting to make sure i had them while i could...

p4120004_Crocuses_thm.jpg

p4130011_Flower_Circle_thm.jpg

p4130006_Early_Purple_Iris_thm.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My miniature daffodowndillies :) are the first to bloom in my yard. If I walk about 100 yards, I can find snow drops weeks earlier but they are gone from that neighbor's yard, now.

The miniatures are in the most improbable location for an early bloom. Complete shade! They are right against the cedar-siided north wall of the greenhouse. They might get sunlight by May but only in late afternoon.

Anyway, with so little clear sky in the spring, the light is never good for a photograph. Still, it really lifts my spirits to see them blooming when I'm passing to and from the greenhouse :). All the daffies are blooming today, I noticed as I circled about in the yard.

I got the lawn mowed between showers! Admittedly, about half the time, I couldn't see where I'd been and hadn't been. Just continued circling until I figured that I'd been over every square foot.

Now, it's all one level and wet again with the rain.

Steve

Latest posts