Will spring ever come?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Woke up to snow. :tongue

The only one who's happy about it at my house.
>>>> 20180417_060324.jpg <<<<

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cold, damp and raining day after day after day. I have a wicked case of cabin fever.

5 minutes of sunshine the other day, we didn't go outside as we're too used to moonbathing this time of the year... "what's that blue stuff up in the sky!!!??" it is all going to get here too quickly now and everything i could have been doing is all going to supposed to happen at once. i can feel it. like building pressure...

perhaps that's why they call it spring?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
from the Wiktionary: Etymology
From Middle English springen, from Old English springan, from Proto-Germanic *springaną (compare West Frisian springe, Dutch/Low German/German springen, Danish springe, Swedish springa), from Proto-Indo-European *sperǵʰ- (compare Lithuanian spreñgti (“to push in”), Old Church Slavonic прѧсти (pręsti, “to spin, stretch”), Ancient Greek σπέρχω (spérkhō, “I hasten”), Sanskrit स्पृहयति (spṛhayati, “is eager”)).

Sense of ‘season’ 1547, from earlier springing time, spring-time, in sense of buds sprouting or “springing” up. This replaced Old English lencten (compare Lent) by the 14th century

Yes, at once ... but often not - in the PNW, at least. In earlier years, I claimed that March was my month for cultivation. Many years, a careful job with the spading fork can be employed and whatever cultivation needs to be done, can be completed. Of course, the tractor guy isn't likely to be able to employ such care.

It's more than 2 weeks into April and the ground is saturated with rain. Yesterday, I made a little drive to a park that I found on the map. Not much need to stay at home, the greenhouse was never opened to the outdoors.

Anyway, this little park, I've never visited. Found it! Parking lot gate locked ... road in was flooded. About 30% of the park grounds was covered with water.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today we have SUNSHINE!! :weee

In just a little while I'll be lurching out of the starting blocks and sprinting into the beginning of my summer marathon. :) A few weeks behind schedule, but hopefully not too far behind.

I'm picking up Kid#2 to help today. That will save me a lot! Thank God for strong young sons who are hard workers. He has agreed to help out with my spring cleanups once a week and it's a double blessing. I get to spend the day with him, and he gets to do all the really heavy work. :D

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had sunshine and 40 yesterday. Today, near freezing and sleety rain :(

Latest posts