Wood Burning Stoves

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters Hot Water Bottle ..?

If it's done in a workmanlike manner, which it should be what's the problem?

Within view of the South Window is a garage with a metal chimney set perpendicular to the slope of a gabled roof o_O.

How large of a stove to burn all night ?
I would bet that any firebox of about 2 cubic feet with good quality wood should hold some fire over about 10 hours. It will not put out much heat, however. With a large interior space and little insulation, a small stove in a work area would just be for stand-beside, prop-feet-against comfort.

It has been nearly 25 years since I had any daily wood heat experiences.

Steve

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Installed properly~ with a good hearth~ would be wonderful~ everything done craftsman like~ yah~ the chimney will need cleaning at times```` a propane heater can be installed as well~ it can be set to 40 or 50 degrees~ there are times when sitting in front of a nice warm hearth~ stove~ with a glass door ~mug of milk or a large brandy~ would be the bees knees```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
You need Oak or some hard wood to burn all night~ with other woods you might have coals left to start your fire in the morning~ but```

You can insulate the place well~ build a nice fire with good wood~ stoke the fire~ damp it down~ but not too much and see her in the morning```

----------------
I cut some rounds today~ God willing~ I'll get them to the splitter and split em~ little thicker than stove wood and get it stacked sometime this week~ then I'll be smiling```

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am building a garage that I want to be able to heat. Not sure if heat will be propane or electric yet. Since I own hundreds of trees I would like to supplement heat with wood. I know a member here said they loved their wood stove but wished it held more wood. How large of a stove to burn all night ? Any stove I should stay away from ? What is a blower ?
Are you planning to cut the wood yourself? I imagine buying wood near you costs an arm and a leg. Cutting and splitting your own wood requires time and kind of a love for doing the job. After close to 40 years it seems my husband has lost the desire to cut any more firewood. We have bought it the last 2 seasons and it still is cheaper than paying for natural gas for the furnace. There is another like the dry heat from a wood stove. It may end up a clothes rack like your tiller that you used once.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom excuse my limited imagination, as here I see it run through spot where window belongs and up the side of building. What you described, is obviously much different.

I burned wood for 35 years. It has to be a life style or it won’t work.

What I loved:
Instant warmth when I came in from cold.
We cooked on top-Love good soup on top.
Saved us $2000/year on LP.
During winter storms, we had heat/warm food.
Great bonding with kids while we gathered wood-enjoyed listening to them complain......

Hated:
Mess of hauling in wood, ashes, etc..
Dried out house so needed to keep water by to replace humidity.
Wife is a pyro, she couldn’t walk by without opening door to “throw something away-sometimes just a piece of lint.....”
Going on roof to clean chimney.

Suggest, want a fire, buy a fire ring outside.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom excuse my limited imagination, as here I see it run through spot where window belongs and up the side of building. What you described, is obviously much different.

I burned wood for 35 years. It has to be a life style or it won’t work.

What I loved:
Instant warmth when I came in from cold.
We cooked on top-Love good soup on top.
Saved us $2000/year on LP.
During winter storms, we had heat/warm food.
Great bonding with kids while we gathered wood-enjoyed listening to them complain......

Hated:
Mess of hauling in wood, ashes, etc..
Dried out house so needed to keep water by to replace humidity.
Wife is a pyro, she couldn’t walk by without opening door to “throw something away-sometimes just a piece of lint.....”
Going on roof to clean chimney.

Suggest, want a fire, buy a fire ring outside.
I don't hate anything about it. I do like the lack of the bits carried into the house come spring time. But wood warms your through to your bones. It is the only fuel that warms you twice.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy let’s figure costs.

Decent wood burner-$1500?
Good chain saw plus safety equipment (don’t even attempt with $150 special-it will work you to death). $550
Labor/parts to install chimney-$1000?
Extra insurance-$200/year?
Truck to haul with-you are up to what I with that fixer upper????? Sorry, low blow.

Nothing cheap about wood until you burn it for a few decades.

Latest posts