yellow flower

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It could fall in one of these categories!
fancy-yellow-colors.gif

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When it comes to identifying them you have to consider that a plant here growing for me might grow somewhat differently for you. So my best advice would be to find something that is closest to what you have because growing conditions vary greatly from one area to another which will affect how something grows and flowers.

Other than that, I think it's a yellow wildflower ;)

(try this site - you can send them pics and describe where you found it and the growing conditions and they'll help ID it:

http://www.wildflower.org/expert/ :watering )

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
... it is definitely 'fancy intense yellow' ... :hide
You guys don't mess around when it comes to hav'n fun... huh?!:gig

While they are out appreciating fine art...
Just a guess... try Silphium ... Compass plant or Cup plant (two different species)...:bun

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you, Lavender, for being helpful. ;)

I searched all Silphium species on the USDA website and looked at all the species that grow in Texas, and none of them match. I'm assuming that the leaf in the description should be the same even if the flower is slightly different from place to place.

All the Silphium that want me to think they match have deeply lobed leaves, and these (although my pictures aren't very good) have smallish sort of arrow-shaped leaves.

I need to collect some exceptionally good books, i can tell. I never studied botany, dangit!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Okie doke...

Not to make this whole thing even more confusing, but just because the state does not light up at USDA does not mean the species doesn't live there... it just means it has not been documented...;)

Your flower has every characteristic of the Asteraceae family... the flower, leaf, stem, seed head...

There are approx. 1,300 genera and 16,200 species in that family...
here's a list ... Big list...

Silphium is in that genera and the leaves vary immensely ... for instance Starry Rosinweed does not have toothed leaves ... and it is a native flower in TX ... :cool:

I will bet my left boot it IS an Aster ...
Personally ... I would call it a pretty yellow wild Aster and let them grow where ever they choose because it is most likely a native plant that belongs there... :)
Then kick back have a glass of wine and enjoy the fun and beauty of nature ... :D

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lavender2 said:
Okie doke...

Not to make this whole thing even more confusing, but just because the state does not light up at USDA does not mean the species doesn't live there... it just means it has not been documented...;)

Your flower has every characteristic of the Asteraceae family... the flower, leaf, stem, seed head...

There are approx. 1,300 genera and 16,200 species in that family...
here's a list ... Big list...

Silphium is in that genera and the leaves vary immensely ... for instance Starry Rosinweed does not have toothed leaves ... and it is a native flower in TX ... :cool:

I will bet my left boot it IS an Aster ...
Personally ... I would call it a pretty yellow wild Aster and let them grow where ever they choose because it is most likely a native plant that belongs there... :)
Then kick back have a glass of wine and enjoy the fun and beauty of nature ... :D
Don't worry. I have no intention of hurting it. But i want to know what it is so i can find out about herbal benefits. It has such an amazing smell, and the closed, dandelion looking buds make me want to eat it. :lol:

Thanks for the link. I'll be back in 5 years and let you know which one matches. :rolleyes:

Oh, i never looked at the leaves on the Starry Rosinweed because the blossom doesn't match. :/