You aren't gonna believe this!!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So, I am sitting in my kitchen this morning, dinking about online....and one of the new kittens want's up on my lap. Ok. Put kitten on my lap. I suddenly smell a baaaad smell. Ok. Kitty fart.

Nope. It was skunk. A skunk had gotten under the house, and apparently ran into one of the resident snakes under there. It sprayed, basically...right under where I was sitting. :ep:sick:sick:sick

o.m.gee

I put my jacket on and went outside to see what I could see. Or smell. Nothing obvious out there. Just fresh skunk scent up by the kitchen and laundry porch. ok. Lovely.:sick

As I had to run into town anyways, (by then I needed to breathe), I also picked up some air fresheners in the walmart auto dept. As strong as possible.

Came back home, about 1.5 hours later. Yupppp. Still skunk. :hit:sick:hide

Now see, dh no longer has a sense of smell, so he is lucky in that way. Me, mine works perfect. :hit

So, here it is, on to 6:30 pm.....after numerous attempts at air freshener. Oh, the house?...a 1952 Jim Walter home. NO vapor barrier. NO insulation. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. :barnie

Needless to say, my stomach has been a little queasy at home today. I didn't cook supper. Dh had hotdogs and fries. I had leftovers. :th

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had something like this happen to me when I lived on the river.

My two dogs were in the backyard - no cats. I guess that the skunk must have thought that it could run the dogs off by spraying under the house. The backyard was fenced so the dogs were not going anywhere.

As far as I know, the skunk didn't come back. The spraying wasn't repeated but I had to live with that one visit for several days. It wasn't pleasant and I wish it hadn't happened to you!

Check @thistlebloom 's thread on smoke. Skunk might be worse but maybe the remedies would be about the same.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Moxie I feel for you. :eek:
I don't know of any air fresheners that are going to be able to resolve that stink, having been sprayed under the house and probably hard to get to the parts of the building that actually have the liquid stink on them. That fragrance will probably keep wafting up for quite awhile.:sick

Maybe you could get a couple of fans blowing under there to at least keep a good airflow out and away? And maybe some charcoal as @dickiebird suggested for my smoke problem.

I have a few amusing skunk stories...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, I am sitting in my kitchen this morning, dinking about online....and one of the new kittens want's up on my lap. Ok. Put kitten on my lap. I suddenly smell a baaaad smell. Ok. Kitty fart.

Nope. It was skunk. A skunk had gotten under the house, and apparently ran into one of the resident snakes under there. It sprayed, basically...right under where I was sitting. :ep:sick:sick:sick

o.m.gee

I put my jacket on and went outside to see what I could see. Or smell. Nothing obvious out there. Just fresh skunk scent up by the kitchen and laundry porch. ok. Lovely.:sick

As I had to run into town anyways, (by then I needed to breathe), I also picked up some air fresheners in the walmart auto dept. As strong as possible.

Came back home, about 1.5 hours later. Yupppp. Still skunk. :hit:sick:hide

Now see, dh no longer has a sense of smell, so he is lucky in that way. Me, mine works perfect. :hit

So, here it is, on to 6:30 pm.....after numerous attempts at air freshener. Oh, the house?...a 1952 Jim Walter home. NO vapor barrier. NO insulation. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. :barnie

Needless to say, my stomach has been a little queasy at home today. I didn't cook supper. Dh had hotdogs and fries. I had leftovers. :th
Air fresheners are not going to do it. The smell can linger forever. I would make a lot of the solution that you would use on you pet mixed with hot water and then spray in the cellar.
http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-ex...on-for-a-skunked-dog-and-its-not-tomato-juice

May need to hire someone.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
at first i thought you were going to say that the skunk had hopped up onto your lap! :)

sorry that happened to you.

to me skunk spray smells like stale coffee as it fades.

worst is when the dog gets it and they want to be by you and you can't stand it and they're all "What did I do?!?!?!"...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the smell of skunk, so that all sounds grand to me...but IME, time will be your remedy. Just..time.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
at first i thought you were going to say that the skunk had hopped up onto your lap! :)

sorry that happened to you.

to me skunk spray smells like stale coffee as it fades.

worst is when the dog gets it and they want to be by you and you can't stand it and they're all "What did I do?!?!?!"...
That's what I thought, too!
Ugh! Skunk smell is just the worst! Just about every spring at least one will get hit by a car right in front of our house. Of course, DH feels it is up to him to dispose of it. So he will go out there and scoop it up into the back of the pickup and take it for a drive out in the country.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Update: I think it is actually better this morning! The house is up on concrete block piers, with vents in the skirting. But lemme tell you, last night for me was ROUGH. Even burning some french fries in the not yet calibrated oven, wasn't able to mask it very well. By 10:30, when I got up from sleep for a bathroom run....I could still smell it.
So, I grabbed a new bar of some scented homemade soap, and took it to bed with me. By then, skunk smell was burned into my brain.:sick:sick:sick

I slept with soap bar on my pillow next to my nose :th

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy. That all sounds so unpleasant.

Skunks show up in the garden sometimes. I don't know what all they are doing out there - probably, whatever they want. I've decided that some of the sweet corn loss, can be blamed on them. Raccoons are more efficient - both, indicate that it's ripe and that there is no use leaving the ears because the gardener (me) will just feed the pests.

I had a friend in elementary school who had a pet skunk. I thought that this would be so cool ... However, the kid didn't seem to care about it as a pet. Said that it would sleep all day and come out to get into things after everyone was in bed. I think that it was turned into an "outdoor pet" which might have lasted a day or two.

Steve

Latest posts