Your Help Needed - Evalutating NEW Forum Software

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I download nuthin' anymore. Up until this year, I would go to CNET now and then and look for some program that was gonna make things soooo much better and more entertaining. It wasn't often, I'd already been burned by programs taking over search and I feel that this is just total surveillance.

Having said that, Google is my start page and I use it frequently thru the days. Still, I don't even believe everything that turns up there! Like if I want to know about a certain company - what if they just put several websites up, drive traffic to them and have glowing reports, of course biased as all get-out about whatever I'm looking for? Wikipedia? I have even had problems clicking on an external link on that great resource!

Yeah, if I see some ad that interests me, I hover the cursor over it while writing down most of the URL. Then, I go there. They probably know where I came from and where I live & all that but I haven't clicked a link. I'll save that link-clicking for non-ads on some of the major portals where I just cannot access anything "cyber" without 'em.

Steve

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
We have been experiencing occasional periods of slowness and are looking into a server upgrade. I'm not sure if that's the cause of any particular times (since slowness can be caused by a myriad of things) but it definitely isn't helping to speed things up... at least not yet. ;)

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Apologies if it's already been covered but is there a bug where you can't right click copy and paste or highlight text with your mouse in the reply box a lot of the time? I'm using Firefox 26.0

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Test ~

can't right click copy and paste or highlight text with your mouse in the reply

can't right click copy and paste or highlight text with your mouse in the reply ~ Test

Not so that I've noticed, Dave . . . Yes, this is Firefox 26, also. You might click More options and Preview to see if things work okay there.

I am glad to see you around here!

Steve

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well wadda know, today I go to log on and my new username and password auto fill when I click on the sign in heading.
So just to be sure I back out, click on and my "normal" username and password autofill!!!
Go figure???

THANX RICH

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm using Firefox 26.0
Test ~

can't right click copy and paste or highlight text with your mouse in the reply ~ Test

Not so that I've noticed, Dave . . . Yes, this is Firefox 26, also. You might click More options and Preview to see if things work okay there.

I am glad to see you around here!

Steve

To give an example, I have just clicked the reply link on the quoted post above and am typing in the comment box. If I take my mouse and left click and move, attempt to highlight this entire paragraph I'm typing, it creates a blue field over the text like it should and I can right click to bring up a context menu to copy the text or anything else active on the context menu, but if instead of highlighting the entire paragraph I only highlight a word or portion of the paragraph, when I release my left mouse button the text automatically un-highlights when it shouldn't.

So, I can highlight the entire paragraph above, or the entire paragraph below, or this whole sentence, but I can't highlight only a portion of any of the 3. Other times at random I can highlight a single or multiple words but can't do any operations on what is selected. For example if I highlight the following sentence and press the keyboard delete button, the text doesn't delete:

This also happens if I click More Options to use the new reply page, and in the Edit Post popup box, but doesn't happen on any other website that I'm aware of and I mean a lot of sites.

I suppose it's possible that a Firefox add-on is causing it, but the problem doesn't manifest itself on any other site and all of this website's functionality seems to be there, except for this quirk with text manipulation which makes it a pain to post due to my editing habits.

Last edited:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Test ~

Well, I did the same test and I can. google chrome acerchromebook here. I highlighted your post digit, then right clicked on the pad, pound, then clicked copy, then pasted it here in the type box.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nifty, I'm slowly getting comfortable with the new format and I think it's going to be something we'll all enjoy - expecially once we get back to digging in the dirt. I was wondering about on thing though. On the old forum there was a 'recent posts' button down at the bottom that would take me back to a list of all the .... well, the recent posts. Any chance of getting something like that here? Or is it here and I just haven't found it yet?
Thanks

P.S. Would there be any chance of an option to buy a 'membership' that removes ads? Like on BYC? That truck ad is really getting on my nerves - LOL.

Last edited:

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Test ~

Well, I did the same test and I can. google chrome acerchromebook here. I highlighted your post digit, then right clicked on the pad, pound, then clicked copy, then pasted it here in the type box.

Did some testing and figured out that the problem of selecting only portions of a paragraph is being caused by a Firefox add-on called FastestFox (but not the similarly named FasterFox add-on). Disabling FastestFox add-on fixes it.

Odd how it has never caused a problem before, though I've only been testing it for a few months. Basically the problem comes from it attempting to produce a popup bubble with some icons in it to do custom searches of the user-selected block of text.

Normally this does not de-select the text but on the new theeasygarden reply boxes it does, even if the popup bubble itself is disabled in the add-on settings.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I figured out why it's so slow........until the ads load, it freezes. I'm sure some of my ad blockers are messing with it. Since I'm not going to soften my safety features, I'll have to live with clicking on where I want to read, switch sites, then come back in 2 minutes. It does make my time here much less enjoyable but I enjoy the topics enough, I'll put up with it.