Your Help Needed - Evalutating NEW Forum Software

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Use IPad, Safari. Since I posted this, it no longer freezes. I can now scroll down while ads load. Alls good. Not sure why as I changed nothing.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
No worries, I don't think you're being contrary! :) Which browser and version are you running?

Maybe this will help with info about online status: http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/news-feed-and-another-small-question.14577/#post-163731

Well, I get that aspect of being on the 'roll call", but Journey and I had this conversation and we couldn't "see" each other when we had marked our preferences as not showing online status.

And so is that why the online stats will show four members names (for example) but say there are 5 members online?

Also, the "likes" will name members who liked a post and then say "and two others" or whatever. Are we anonymous when we have no online status chosen?

Maybe I ought to go clean a cupboard or something...I may be splitting hairs.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, there is some hair-splitting definitely going on! ;)

I'm not sure about the online status stuff, but regarding the like and "and two other".... you should be able to click and see all those that liked it. the "and 2 others" is so there isn't a huge list of names.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am finding it certainly does run a bit faster on Firefox and the ads are not as contrary...you can minimize them in Firefox, whereas they just lock up in Internet Explorer. I'll just have to switch over all my bookmarks and get myself used to using Firefox. (Now I'm being contrary, lol.) I usually use IE9 on Vista. They stopped updating it for Vista after Windows 8 came out, so it is always buggy on many of the more advanced websites. Dear MICROSOFT...please pick a lane and go with it! :rant

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll put in a plug for google chrome. The chromebook does have its weaknesses such as no messenger, and the photo gallery app it has is complicated and weak. But ghz for ghz of speed and memory it is over twice as fast. This one is 1.1 ghz and it is faster than the 2.2 ghz of my windows 7 laptop. Also, googlle chromebook does not need to be updated. Generally the international internet bums and crooks leave google chrome alone because there is not much they can do even if they could worm their way in. Major corporations are not using it so there is no need for them to be spying on any excel or outlook or word things that have intranet info. There is no messenger thing for those click here to give your credit card number to prove you're over 18 so you can see my webcam baloney.

But using apps is weak compared to full programs. Apps are still little cheapo versions. Putting photos into the chromebook does not clear my camera's card, though there may be a way.
Do you know how to clear the card in the chromebook Nifty?

Lol, yea, now most of us are really understanding most of the new forum's features, and now it is down to small details and the pros and cons of which operating system can do what.

The internet. It is always going to have growing pains I think.

Remember the late 1990's when messengers became more popular? Before 1995, and even after 1995, some of us used to "chat" using email! Then, some young gal from Pennsylvania told me about an actual chat webpage, and it worked! I'll be doggoned.

meatburner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
One suggestion would be to have the date and time at the top of each post. It would then be obvious how current the post is versus having to scroll down to the end of the post to see how current the response is. Hope that makes sense.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Great idea, and something we've been looking into!