Your Help Needed - Evalutating NEW Forum Software

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I figured out why it's so slow........until the ads load, it freezes. I'm sure some of my ad blockers are messing with it. Since I'm not going to soften my safety features, I'll have to live with clicking on where I want to read, switch sites, then come back in 2 minutes. It does make my time here much less enjoyable but I enjoy the topics enough, I'll put up with it.

It runs a little slower on my machine too, but I am also seriously overdue for an upgrade, so maybe that's part of it... Anyhow, I've been looking at the list of Recent Posts and when I see one I want to read, I found it easier to right click on the title or the blue dot and select the option to "open in a new tab". Time I've gone through the list and opened all of the ones I'm interested in, most all of them have loaded.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a real good tip Journey :).
I wonder why you're not appearing on the sidebar as being online right now?

Do I not? I can see "me" on my screen... I did uncheck the thingy about showing my current status, but I thought that meant not showing exactly what thread I was currently on (felt that was a little too weird!) But if I'm not showing up at all, then I guess I'll go back and change it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, right now you appeared, but I was seeing your recent posts and yet you weren't on the sidebar. Like magic!
As I type this you're still there...:)

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
On the old forum there was a 'recent posts' button down at the bottom that would take me back to a list of all the .... well, the recent posts. Any chance of getting something like that here? Or is it here and I just haven't found it yet?

P.S. Would there be any chance of an option to buy a 'membership' that removes ads? Like on BYC? That truck ad is really getting on my nerves - LOL.

Regarding "recent posts", hopefully this helps: http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/theeasygarden-new-home-conversion-info-faqs.14552/#post-163294

Regarding slowness: 9 times out of 10 the cause is an old browser or a bad plugin. I'm on a 7 year old PC running Windows XP and my system is SLOW, but I run the newest version of FireFox and Chrome, and rarely have any problems on any of the sister sites. So, check your plugins and get the new version of Firefox or Chrome and that will hopefully help!

Regarding a membership to remove ads: Actually, we do have that on BYH and I want to add it here. It's worked very well on BYC and BYH where members can buy it if they want to support the site and also have perks, but also members can win / earn it for free in many various ways!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nifty, not to be contrary, but it's only on this site (I don't frequent the other ones any more so no knowledge whether I would have the same issues there) that I notice this slow down. It's froze while the ads load every time I switch pages-probably some safety feature on my computer. It's not enough for me to leave as I enjoy the knowledge I pick up here.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, I'm trying to figure this out...I closed the box in preferences that said "show online status". I see my name on the sidebar as being currently online, but does that mean I'm the only one that sees that?
I opened Chrome concurrently (I almost always use Firefox) and went to TEG, but didn't log on and my name does not show on the sidebar, even though I am logged on in Firefox.
Also, when my preference is NOT to show online status, and I "like" a post, does that mean my "like" is anonymous?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
2:30 and it does not show you online, Thistle'.

I have been out. Using tablet. Awkward so I hardly know what is going on.

Using safari. Nice clean look to TEG!

digitS'

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
Nifty, not to be contrary, but it's only on this site (I don't frequent the other ones any more so no knowledge whether I would have the same issues there) that I notice this slow down. It's froze while the ads load every time I switch pages-probably some safety feature on my computer.

No worries, I don't think you're being contrary! :) Which browser and version are you running?

2:30 and it does not show you online, Thistle'.

Maybe this will help with info about online status: http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/news-feed-and-another-small-question.14577/#post-163731

Latest posts