Your Other Hobby (s)?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Currently engaged in one of our hobbies and germane to the conversation...decluttering, eliminating and organizing our back storage room. We had done it so well last year that it's much easier this year, but still finding things to get rid of.

Our rule of thumb? If we haven't used it in a year of living, do we really need it here? If it's the kind of tool or such that only gets occasional use, we likely keep it, but if it's not a tool and only an item that we have not found useful in a year or even more, it's likely we can do without it in our daily lives from here on out.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed we had a house fire 8 years ago. Occasionally we find something that was taken to garage to be cleaned later. When it surfaces all these years later I do not even want to look at it. Take it to the trash can! Unless it is a treasure we had been deeply saddened to have lost, then we rejoice. I mean how badly can I need something I had not really missed for 8 YEARS!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exactly. That's what Mom and I kept turning up when we started to sort through she and Dad's things...stuff they had been carrying around from home to home since I was little, but not using it, just keeping it because it came out of the "Groover House" or the "Mountain House" that had some sentimental value but wasn't worthy of display and had very little use.

Now we're down to the nitty gritty items, more basic and more useful, but still in storage for far too long to actually be considered essential to our nowaday, every day living.

I feel we have hijacked a thread....maybe the mods would like to start another thread about downsizing our lives and clip all these posts into it?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed, you can always start one. Sometimes it seems as if decluttering has become either a hobby or the anti-hobby of clutter collecting.

@so lucky, you are right. He has you. Everything else is just stuff. When my mother passed my sister wanted everything. I let her take what she wanted and had a sale for what was left. She showed up at the sale and took a few more things. Brother and I had everything we needed for our homes by that time. Who needs more stuff?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We live 30 minutes from Canton, Tx home of First Monday. It is FOUR HUNDRED ACRES of flea market. A flea market hunter's dream. My sister and her best friend go 4-5 times a year. We went with them last month. We rented electric carts, like the handicapped carts and rode in style. Sis and friend had to make several trips to the car. DH and I bought a humongous cow hide. It is for seat covers for 4 dining chairs we found at another junk sale for only $40 for all four chairs. I ordered medallion type upholstery nails for putting the cow hide on the seats. A "hobby" project. LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have another chair with matching footstool, got off a trash heap 25 years ago. I covered it in deerhide. It was a doe I shot. I skinned her out, processed the meat. Then I staked down the hide, scraped the fat and meat off and salted it. Let it dry, then shook off salt and soaked it in water overnight. I cut off the pieces for chair bottom, back and footstool. The leftovers I cut into lacing. The chair is cedar. It's seen better days, I'll cover it in the cowhide for the screened in porch I don't have yet. LOL

Latest posts