Your Weather, 2021

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hot and dry, the ground is powder. Chance of rain in the next couple of days. Hope we get some. Couple of days ago, I let the 4 month old ewes graze the yard. In the afternoon I didn’t see them, so went outside to find them. Hahaha! They were laid up under the stock trailer laying in the holes the dogs dug!!
Smart sheep

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
continued rains all day, the roof is leaking again, not in a new place so that's ok, we're sort of used to it. Mom had to run out this morning to pick up some things at the local store so she ran into the guy who's supposed to be fixing our roof. so she mentions that the roof is leaking again and he says his is too (which he just had done by the company he works for ...). so he asked her how many vents we need to have replaced as he thinks it is four but we have six vents so as soon as she got home and mentioned the conversation i sent him an e-mail with the facts. we need six, they have to be brown and tall enough not to leak when the rains get hard enough.

he actually quoted a price for doing them and i said go for it.

so perhaps, after all this time we'll get the buggers replaced. i've only been trying to get him out here to do this for the last 12 months...

in other news, the rain was coming down pretty good and then we had a bit of a let up so i went outside with the umbrella to check out all my water works and layers of water catches and saw what was going on. mostly all ok and nothing too surprising.

The River Nile (the long trench which runs along the south side of the property) is running pretty good. the big drainage ditch out back is now up from almost no flow at all to about 20-50cfs. the culvert it has to flow through is the bottleneck and will cause a backup but i'm not sure what that flow rate might be, perhaps 200-300cfs maybe more.

anyways we've had another 3-4 inches of rain today. things are soggy. even a small snapping turtle was hanging out on the side of the River Nile in the grass. i haven't seen a snapping turtle anywhere around our property here for quite a long time, but i don't wander out back on the other side of the large drainage ditch very often at all and that's the place where they'd more likely be... it was pretty cute, just about 7 inches long. i didn't take my camera with me because there wasn't a lot of big puddles or low spots that looked wrong to me from the patio window and i had to contend with the umbrella so that was enough.

we'll see how things go as yet another significant rain is heading right at us. they have flood warnings out, not surprised, next few days still going to be more rain, then chances most of the week yet. i'm working on a program now to keep me from climbing the walls and eating too much chocolate. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
108°f yesterday (42C)

Home all day with AC allowed me to maintain 73°. I had yard watered but returned to water pots at 4pm.

73° outdoors by 4am but - I can't cool the interior despite all the fans and open windows. Fresh Air! Almost 7, soon I have to close things up again and rely on AC.

Oh, it was a 50° dew point when the temperature was 108°. That must make for a "feels like" reading of importance to living creatures. 15% humidity with some wind. DW says good "jerky weather."

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
😥

The day seemed to be really dragging with this 110° heat. I stepped outside to get the mail.

Screenshot_2021-06-27-17-26-25_kindlephoto-46872801.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we were giving a garden tour today and there was a bucket left about halfway under a bench out there. 10" of rain in it. in a week that's a lot of rain for this soil and we did get some run off, but the big ditch out back is already down again, but at least it should flow pretty good for a while now that we've had some soaking rains.

hot, humid, people didn't want to be outside too long for the tours and taking pictures but going in and out of the house is really tough on my lungs. coming in from outside to the AC feels great but my body hates it.

we need to mow, but busy until Friday, so that actually works out because the forecast is for the high of 73. i think we can handle that...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
nice day forecast for today and of course more family stuff is scheduled. i hate it when the week gets overscheduled and it gets in the way and wastes a whole nice summer day that i could get a lot done. ah well, family is family... plants will be there tomorrow and next week... :) only one garden really needs weeding in the next week, the rest can use a quick scrape any time i can get in them but they're not in danger of having anything getting big or dropping seeds.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The wind changed???? It has been ENE through most of this heatwave and it is SSW at the moment. I went out to take care of rabbits and put the sprinkler on the raspberries and then starting take scapes off the garlic and the neighbor came out and stood out there talking and realized I was not dying and it was the breeze. Took a moment to snack on pie cherries. I am going to pick some tonight. The cat is still outside on the patio asleep and seems fine, but going to go bring him in.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking to the SE, the sky from my backyard at 4:30 this morning.

sky.jpg

There were thunderstorms a little way East, a little way West and a sprinkle must have fallen because the dust was disturbed on the pickup. It was 108°f yesterday and 97° at 1pm, today (42C 36C) so, a little cooler. There was 62/100 of an inch of rain in June, less than half of normal. There was only 1 June day when more than 1/10th of an inch fell so the rain in June evaporated almost as quickly as it fell. Less than 4 1/2 inches of precipitation since January 1st which is also less than half of normal.

Canada had a new all-time high temperature record set for the entire nation on Sunday. Lytton in BC, of all places!

Lytton is 100 miles north of the border and about 350 miles from here and on “our side” (the dry side) of the mountains. Yesterday, 90% of the town was destroyed by wildfire started by lightening LINK.

Steve

Latest posts