Your Weather, 2021

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artichoke Lover we went from too dry to too wet too here, but it's just what happens and you roll with it as best you can. :) today was the first day of sunshine in a while and the gardens all look like they can use it some more. tomorrow will be much the same. we're heading back to more cloudy and rains after these few days of sunshine, but i'm hoping it won't be too gloomy and too much rain because there's a lot to get done out there!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not a drought year here.
Screenshot_20210711-000114.png

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
No longer a drought here either. I had wondered how to pull the total precipitation we've had since the dry spell ended. Then yesterday, came across a special weather statement on my phone - which was the rainfall totals from June 15th to present, for most of the nearby cities in Wisconsin! My area has had close to 8" during that period. More expected starting Sunday night, so will be getting as much done as possible before then... I need to place the poly covers over the pepper seed cages.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the forecast i checked yesterday said today was rain after 2pm so i was looking forwards to having a few hours this morning to get out there and get something more done.

it's been raining a bit for a while now so that obviously wasn't an accurate forecast so i just checked and this is the updated one:

"
A chance of showers between 8am and 5pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 5pm. Cloudy, with a high near 76. East northeast wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

"

if you haven't noticed how precise that forecast is perhaps your brain works differently than mine...

they could have done that in fewer words "it might rain today, we can't say when, good luck"

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The WS people here have been very accurate, although rainstorms haven't been very much in the reality. Those haven't been predicted, either.

I'm not sure of the size of the grid that they use for local forecasts. My home is slightly outside of the one that seems best, anyway. Why do I discount it? It's just that if simple grafting is used, my address puts me in a square with most of the land 50 to 80 feet lower in elevation. So, I look at what is being said about 4 miles away, centered probably a good 8 miles distant ;).

Then, the WS records what happens at their station which isn't in the center, either. Closer to my home but, they can't be everywhere.

An example of what they have been capable of: Saturday was predicted to be the hottest day of last week. Early on, they had it at 100°f. Then, it was predicted to be 99°. By Thursday, they had Saturday at 98°.

:D I'm thinking that they are splitting hairs but that's characteristic ;). Saturday morning, I check the thermometer and it is 59°. Now, doubt creeps in. ¿How are we gonna go from 59° to 98°?

Mid-afternoon, the official thermometer is still a few degrees short. I head out to water some plants. Back under the deck roof I'm taking off my shoes thinking, this air is really hot! Came in and told DW, "it must be 100 degrees out there!"

Check the WS. Nope, 98°.

:) Steve
BTW. if the centigrade scale was being used, i'd need to cut them even more slack ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well as yesterday turned out, there wasn't any more rain and since the ground was about the same level of moisture i was able to get back to weeding the north garden. i'll be doing more of that today. no rain in the forecast now until tonight so today is another bonus gardening day. i could use a few more weeks like this. mid-70s with a breeze.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today, cloudy with chances of rain forecast for this afternoon and tonight. sunny tomorrow with warmer temperatures. mowing grass today before rains arrive. all in theory... :) until it happens...

i say that about theory because yesterday i was supposed to remember to call someone at 11am, but when i went outside to do something and planned on coming back in i didn't make it back in for a few hours. too late. oops. no big harm done. if it were that critical i would have stayed in and set an alarm on the stove timer.