Your Weather, 2021

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born in Oklahoma and I lived in Kansas for over 20 years and they called Kansas Tornado Alley. I do not remember anything of tornadoes in Oklahoma. I think one went through when I was about 11. I remember my parents awake early in the morning and I woke up from hearing the house pounded with hail. We moved to Colorado for 5 years and then moved to Kansas and I was not afraid of them. People would say you have to go to a basement and I just never did or worried. I think one went through close to me one time. I turned the greyhounds out in the pen quick because I thought rain was coming and when I opened the door, the trees tops bent to the ground. The dogs were terrified and I really did not hear anything, but later a friend said he had looked out his door and saw one on the ground and he did not live far from where I was. I got married living in Kansas and DD was born and then it changed for me. I was scared of tornadoes and we moved to Iowa for 3 years and it was worse than Kansas I thought and I worried about weather and I know it was because I had somebody else to worry about.
1616777247546.png

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been reading people calling Alabama "Tornado Alley."

I thought Tornado Alley is the central plains - yes, Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma north. That doesn't seem to be the current vulnerable area - it seems to be Alabama and to the northeast.

I don't know how I would respond to tornadoes. I'd really want to see them and want a wide horizon for that but being there would be dangerous.

Steve
Alabama is a part of what they call Dixie Alley. We tend to go less tornadoes than tornado alley but they tend to more dangerous.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was 9c and sunny today but then got overcast and windy.

Yesterday was windy as well with intermittent rain then suddenly we had a very heavy hailstorm .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We may have one of your 63°f (17°C) days, @Marie2020 . Maybe, it will be next week but there have been several March afternoons when the thermometer has come very close!

Wind has been predominant, lately. Tired of it! 56mph one day, 37mph gusts the next, 25mph+ yesterday. I don't even enjoy being in the greenhouse when there is so much wind slapping up against it and the hoop house next door.

Looks like one good day - today. Buuuttt, there are tomatoes to move into 4-packs. Which means hanging out in the greenhouse instead of outdoors. Well, that don't sound so bad :).

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wind has been predominant, lately. Tired of it! 56mph one day, 37mph gusts the next, 25mph+ yesterday. I don't even enjoy being in the greenhouse when there is so much wind slapping up against it and the hoop house next door.
Windy most days here too. Even with the temperature beginning to warm, the wind drives a chill through clothing when walking outdoors. On the plus side, that wind does dry out the soil faster... it's still too wet to till though.