Your Weather, 2022

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is a summary of our weather. We did have a spring this year :). They are predicting 89 degrees next week! Too hot for may :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220429-122510_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220429-122510_Brave.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 84

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It has been a very cold Spring here!
FORTUNATELY, my fruit tree buds did NOT get frosted earlier this week!!! :weee :weee :weee :weee :weee
DH and I turned off our heat for a week...back on Tuesday. :confused:
Grass is growing like crazy, so I've been mowing. I decided that my inner sanctum will be a pasture rotation this year. It was all gravel in 1999, when we moved here, but the worms and grass have gone to work on it. Some it is better than my other pastures!
Just need to tackle all of the random weeds. I intend to mow/poison them the first week that the horses are out on the north pasture for the summer. D2-4, which seems to be the only stuff that kills burdock for good, needs a couple of weeks in order to be safe for the horses. They will nibble on it.
Would that they thought it was tastier, then I wouldn't NEED to kill it. :somad
I had to hold off on planting my 10 privets. They were on 20%/total clearance sale from Tennessee Nursery. They came 3 ft tall and barerooted. I put them in water right away, then moved them to one of my big black water tank/now planters, and I am happy to say all have leaves, though two only have the tiniest of leaves.
They are going in against my south fence, where my neighbor has gone crazy. He used to keep a pristine lawn.
Now he posts on FB about how miserable he is being a widow, and his ahem "half live in GF", who used to make him "happy" died, so he is back to being gloomy.
He keeps a permanent large dumpster right across the fence. Bad enough, but many pieces of trash never make it inside, just dumped against my fence. Don't want a fight, so I plant.
Privets Can be planted so close that they become a fence, but I don't need them that close, just close enough to block the view.
I also have sunflowers and cosmos to be planted soon.
I am planting cool weather crops late, like sugar snap peas and expect very little but seed pods from them, but that will be ok, since I haven't grown them successfully anyway, Yet.
DH and DD's have booked a cabin that sleeps 10 in CO late August. That will be my window for Fall Planting and I expect a better result.
E V E R Y B O D Y I hear from and read stuff from keeps saying that cool weather crops get sweeter when harvested late Fall and even early winter.
Unfortunately, I am running through my hay. Last year I had 80 bales left. Right now, with the rain and cold and using my stalls later AND the manger in the shelter, I am down to 34 bales.
Hate to even text my hay man about $hay this year. :eek: In 2021 it was $6/bale.
Still, we expect a full week of dry weather, and we getting past the grass founder stage.
Long story short...COLD!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raining 🌧️ !

We may already have 1/2" and more to come over the next few days. I was trying to remember when we last had rain when I could see water dripping off the roof. How's that for a meaningful shower - no gutter above that window and the water falling on that roof slope doesn't amount to enough to drip?

You can tell that the lawngrass is loving it! The carrot & pea seed planted this week should benefit. I was actually caught in a dust devil out in the garden, yesterday!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raining🌧️ !

We may already have 1/2" and more to come over the next few days. I was trying to remember when we last had rain when I could see water dripping off the roof. How's that for a meaningful shower - no gutter above that window and the water falling on that roof slope doesn't amount to enough to drip?

You can tell that the lawngrass is loving it! The carrot & pea seed planted this week should benefit. I was actually caught in a dust devil out in the garden, yesterday!

Steve

we are just again on the edge of rain this morning. first day of lawn mowing. i don't think we're going to get rained on. if you look at the front on the current radar it is melting back south pretty rapidly.

nice and cool at the moment, but not too cold. the heat was running the past few nights. by mid-week next we're looking at mid-80s. no rain in the forecast. prime gardening weather and of course things are coming up that have nothing to do with gardening. still i'll get a few hours in each day here or there and should be pretty well caught up within a few weeks.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tonight it is 12c and feels like 10. Today it has been a cloudy depressing grey for most of the day, we were told we were having rain but there hasn't been any at all

For the last couple of months we were told we were having snow then a few days ago we were having a heatwave. :confused:
What was the question again :th

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The small garden in my FIL's house, holly molly, the grass grows crazily. I have to bring my long grass scissor before using a mower. The temperature here in Cologne city is amazingly high, and I should bring my warmth-loving plants here!
575.jpg

Instead of the bottomless planters, I am using in our garden, I will directly use thick cartons and also the whole package soil to plant vegetables here. Also, I won't use a mower too often here, instead, I will use chop-and-drop method for those crazy weeds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thunder and Lightning! And, Rain 🌧️.

As with any thunderstorm, the rainfall was specific to location but I imagine that it was similar to what was experienced at the nearest airport: 85/100th of an inch!

Unusual here and in combination with Thursday's rainy day, nature must have had well over an inch of water. Since the snow has been melting at a slow, steady pace at higher elevations - perhaps there was no flooding on mountain streams. So. Very Welcome.

Maybe a little more rain today but clouds are likely. We even have a slight chance of snow to finish things off Sunday night.

I'm taking advantage of the clouds as best as I can. Hours were spent in the greenhouse before all the thunder and lightning might have scared me away ;). Those little plants in fresh soil will need a few days of indirect light. They aren't hidden away so I will have to pay attention if the sun is out more than a few minutes. Of course, the established plants will scraggle along looking for sunlight but they had a few days for a little stored energy.

Steve

Latest posts