Your Weather, 2022

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far it is a partly doggy morning with only a smattering of cats. One of those medium days where its just in the middle and you could get up and out or it is cool enough to stay in bed just a little while longer. This crowd is giving a split decision.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, shucks.

Freezing in the distant garden. It's not as though I didn't expect it but it has to be difficult for the onion transplants. They have survived cold temperatures in the Winter greenhouse and been outside in there flats during recent days so they should be tough.

The soil was moist and there should be more rain over the next 24-36 hours. In fact, snow down to 2700' elevation. Shucks, that is almost to where I used to live.

Two mornings of freezing with damaged roots - well, it's supposed to be warming up in the mornings.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
pop-up storm. the forecast predicted rains after 2pm and these arrived about 25 minutes early. i'm not complaining. we've really needed some rain for about a week now. i was done with weeding and working on a garden anyways.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We get Spring today and tomorrow, then back to early Summer. Yesterday a very windy storm blew through, and the rain stuck around long enought to block out the Blood Moon. :hitVERY sad bc it was to begin at 9:30PM, instead of the middle of the night. :hit
Boy, I'm Glad I went out to watch the 4 Blood Moons a few years back, which were two years of a Spring/Fall Blood Moon..
The Next big celestial event in our neck of the woods is a solar eclipse. At the Adler Planetarium (Chicago), they said people are making their hotel reservations NOW for Carbondale, IL, for the eclipse on April 8, 2024.
DD went to Law School there. She and her eldest sister lived together down there for her last year, and they even took a long weekend to stay at a cabin on a small lake and loved it.
I am encouraging them to consider getting a reservation soon and going down there (3 1/2 hrs drive) for the fun.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was reading this morning the reports from the US phenology network about Spring normals and for 2022.

They have reported on temperatures and plants (leafing out/blooming) for decades. This Spring was described as "patchy," again and again. Apparently, there is a great deal of regional differences - as we can see here on TEG ;).

We have had some Spring-like weather ☀️ very recently. A little breezy but the temperature has been warmer. It was 46°f (8°C) yesterday morning. There was only one other morning this year as warm as that and it was in the middle of a couple of days of rain. Three weeks ago, that would be an expected afternoon high.

Where's the inconsistency in that? Well, we can look at the West. BIG area - almost 2,000,000 square miles (more than 4 times larger than Germany, where I can see some similarities between @Phaedra Geiermann 's Spring weather and ours :)). Temperatures - Patchy. The common weather in the West is DRY. I'm running the sprinklers in the yard this morning. Oh, we've had rain. I was kinda humored by the WS service reporting a trace of rain just about every hour the other day - trace, trace, trace. The 24 hour total - "a Trace."

Supposed to be a little cooler today but sunny; maybe we will have less wind :). Then, we will be back to "less than a tenth of an inch of rain" for tomorrow with morning temperatures back to near-freezing for a couple of days. With the consistency of our Spring, maybe we have had our last frost :).

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was reading this morning the reports from the US phenology network about Spring normals and for 2022.

They have reported on temperatures and plants (leafing out/blooming) for decades. This Spring was described as "patchy," again and again. Apparently, there is a great deal of regional differences - as we can see here on TEG ;).

We have had some Spring-like weather ☀️ very recently. A little breezy but the temperature has been warmer. It was 46°f (8°C) yesterday morning. There was only one other morning this year as warm as that and it was in the middle of a couple of days of rain. Three weeks ago, that would be an expected afternoon high.

Where's the inconsistency in that? Well, we can look at the West. BIG area - almost 2,000,000 square miles (more than 4 times larger than Germany, where I can see some similarities between @Phaedra Geiermann 's Spring weather and ours :)). Temperatures - Patchy. The common weather in the West is DRY. I'm running the sprinklers in the yard this morning. Oh, we've had rain. I was kinda humored by the WS service reporting a trace of rain just about every hour the other day - trace, trace, trace. The 24 hour total - "a Trace."

Supposed to be a little cooler today but sunny; maybe we will have less wind :). Then, we will be back to "less than a tenth of an inch of rain" for tomorrow with morning temperatures back to near-freezing for a couple of days. With the consistency of our Spring, maybe we have had our last frost :).

Steve
I felt our spring was gone, and the summer is taking control in no time. The second heat wave is arriving, and the temperature might reach 30°C/86°F for a few days.

Without the threat of spring frost, all plants are amazingly thriving. I transplanted all young plants in both gardens. In the past, most of them had to wait until the end of May. Now, I have to stop sowing for a while as there is not much space left.

It's warm, but rains so little in the past few weeks. A good shower was expected for yesterday, but it didn't happen.

Latest posts