Your Weather, 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_2022-06-02-07-51-08_kindlephoto-239247948.png

I hope this NWS map is clear enough. The contrast over the last 2 months between one area of the country and another should show up as stark.

Here, it was cool,  cool. And yet, as I have commented on a couple of times, record lows were almost non-existent. It was just cloudy and cool.

@Alasgun post about the need for energy for indoor growing is relevant. My reliance on sunlight for the greenhouse was really put to the test. In some ways, it has been fortunate that the coolness lasted so many weeks so that I can't really say that I'm "behind." The growing season test will be if some of the varieties will gain their necessary days-to-maturity.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday, a Stormy Afternoon.

The Weather Service sent out a warning about an hour before a possible hailstorm. No hail but I had all plants hardening off back in the greenhouse, early. At first, I thought we would have nothing but a sprinkle of large drops but then it rained for about 30 minutes.

@Carol Dee doesn't it look like these heavy rain storms and possible flash floods are coming your way?

What are you saying, the weather forecast has got it wrong, AGAIN. I don't believe it :oops:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are you saying, the weather forecast has got it wrong, AGAIN. I don't believe it :oops:

it seems that our WS get it rightish about 30% of the time here. i don't even know why i look but i guess most of it is to look at the radar screens to see if there are any large fronts or storms heading in our direction and also to see if there are things like frost warnings anywhere. i no longer count on rains in the forecast unless i see the storm on the horizon and it is strong enough to make it here - many don't make it because of the valley.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I didn't say that the WS was wrong unless they said that Spring temperatures will be average.

They have been below average and April at very near the record.

It's been warm the last few days but now the forecast is for rain. I'll tell ya what I did weather-related in the doin's in the garden thread.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a good soaker would be welcome here. it is sprinkling again here and teasing us on the edge of the clouds and rains. i may go out and work in the rain today no matter what because if i don't i won't get any gardening done and i'd like to be planting the beans i need to get into the fenced gardens as soon as i can. perhaps that will finally be enough to get it to rain. :)

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i may go out and work in the rain today no matter what because if i don't i won't get any gardening done
Said like a true Pacific Northwesterner! 🤣☔ (or at least for us in the West)

It has been so cool and wet here. Most things are slow, even the lettuce hasn't taken off. Peas, though, are spectacular! And of course the grass is growing well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Said like a true Pacific Northwesterner
Emphasize the "Pacific."

I say that we are "fair weather" gardeners. I slogged around in the mud far too long in southern Oregon and coastal California.

I was just looking at climate information of some Mediterranean islands. June, July, August rain total average = 1.5"? Yeah, that should be about right ;).

Steve, in a Wild West irrigation district ☀️, where it's raining & and it looks like we will have 1/2" + when the sprinkles stop ;)

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Said like a true Pacific Northwesterner! 🤣☔ (or at least for us in the West)

Emphasize the "Pacific."

Lol! I should have said "or at least those of us living west of the Cascades." When I hear "Pacific" I think of Seattle or the surrounding islands which has the coastal influence. Whereas west of the Cascades is what @AMKuska and I are dealing with.

Latest posts