Your Weather, 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zjuly.png

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Short answer to that is nope. To put a tarp over an entire house would be quite a job, not to mention even finding one that big. What to use for spacers? The wind blowing would likely shred it after a short while.
what I did to lower the temps. in the attic was ... staple pink fiberglass insulation onto the interior of the roof as well as doubling up on all side and under the roof line vents. lowered the house by a good 20+* in the summer. :cool::weee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the 1st of August!

Aaannnd, it's 103°f (39°C), right now. This will be the 5th day with the nearest airport having 100+ temperatures and there are suppose to be 2 more for an even 7. Is Seven even? Well, it is one 4th of a lunar cycle, sorta.

And speaking of celestial objects, the time for the sun to be shining directly on this spot on the map is one hour less than at the Summer Solstice. This location has almost exactly 16 hours of sunlight (assuming a level horizon) on that day (& 8 hours on the shortest day ;)). So, it's 3/4 of the 24 hours, one way or the other. Loss of daylight is already very noticeable to me because I'm showing up at the South Window to install the exhaust fan sometime around 4 - 4:30 AM -- kitchen window open and away some of that too-warm air goes! Afternoons these days are for the Air Conditioning.

I've posted this information before but the US WS has changed its website. Here is the map showing the average warmest days of the year. As you can see here on the border of ID/WA, it's right about now so these hot days are coming right at the normal time. It's interesting to see how the average varies from place to place.

WarmestDay.png

even s(t)even

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hot and dry here, too.

Another two heat waves are coming. One will arrive this Thursday, and the other next week. However, the temperature in between is quite mild.

We should have a good soak on the coming Friday; both gardens can expect around 10L/sqm of rain. I will sow some grass and clover seeds on Thursday evening; the lawn looks so horrible now.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
People who grow sod in the US have rediscovered clover. In the 1960's in the US most/all bags of grass seed included clover. Grass seed companies got away from clover, which is why many Americans don't see the need for clover in their lawn and consider them weeds, including white clover which grows very low.
We, here, get extemes in our weather and it often droughts out and can get REALLY hot mid summer and that's when our lawns take a beating. I didn't mow for 2 weeks bc I didn't want a lawn of patches of straw! Clover stays green. Also, (If you can get it AND it's cheap) oats will fill in your lawn very nicely and it looks good, too.
Dunno...might be pricey in your neck of the woods.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the storms are right to the north of us, looks like we might get some rain chances again in a little bit, but nothing like what they've gotten further north of us. we'll see... the nicest part though is that they've lowered the high for today from 95F to 89F, that five degree difference can be quite a bit when you are a flowering bean plant.

as far as clovers in lawns @ducks4you i agree completely and recommend clover and yarrow both if you can tolerate them in your lawns. yarrow will stay green and is a really nice frondy plant. i also reocmmend any other kinds of flowering plants that will give the bees variety during the whole season. we have pinks, thymes, mints, indian paintbrushes, several other plants that some people would probably consider weeds and spray to remove them. we don't really mind at all. the only plants that i work to remove on sight are the creeping charlie, some thistles, nutsedges, poison ivy, virginia creeper, morning glories and a few others that i don't like because of how they spread into the neighboring gardens. i don't go after the crabgrass much either since it has become so well established due to how Mom does things, so fighting it became rediculous because i could get it cleared out but then how she mowed wnd kept the edges just meant it came right back. to get rid of that i'd have to smother the entire last remaining parts of the lawn. and, well, then there is quack grass which is only in certain areas so it hasn't been spread throughout the entire lawn yet.

i've only mowed twice the past few months so that's not bad, but it does mean that the ground here is really dry.

bees are still quite happy in the various herb patches and mints that are flowering.

Latest posts