Your Weather, 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Had to share. This is a composite photo by Charles Peek of TWC. It is my new FB cover photo.
Storm photo, Charles Peek, TWC.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We had a few dry weeks it was all clay dust for a while but apart from grey skies we have at least had rain for the past few days

Today is grey we are due rain according to our forecast and its 17 a little windy and feeling really cool.

Last night we had a lovely red moon which I wish I had at least tried to take a picture of but my phone isn't to good on capturing such beauty
You witnessed a "Blood Moon," which happens when the earth moves in between the sun and the moon.
We had a set of 4 of them a few years ago, 2/year, Spring/Fall, and I went out in the middle of the night to see two of them.1652893082923.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have killed 5 lavendars. We are just too wet here.
I Have seeds, so I guess I could start more, but it would have to be in a pot that goes inside in the winter.
REMEMBER, lavendar is a Meditarrean plant.
Rosemary will die of cold if I try to overwinter it.

we grow lavender in places where it flash floods and puddles after heavy rains. all we do is raise the planting a few inches. that's it. we don't mulch them in the winter and we don't ever fertilze them. once every five to ten years we might replant them. sometimes Mom deadheads them. i never touch them. we get hundreds of starts in the gravel around them and can give plenty away to anyone that wants some.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
This week it has been hot here. High 78 and finally my Petit Gris de Renne melons are starting to grow beyond their true leaves. It seems like they are taking forever but maybe it's just me that planted them to early and then had to replant several times.

At least everything is growing and the yard is filling in.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it was storming last night off and on. it seems i woke up a lot due to lightning/thunder. this morning it looks like three large lumps of storms are heading right at us. i just brought in the plants that i left out last night so they don't get any more watering for today - they're plenty soggy enough for now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The third night in the thirties ... let me think, what was that word I was looking at recently that would be impossible to say for someone who speaks with a lisp, like I used to ;)?

Not thirties ;). Anyway, it has been down in the low single digitTH' - for you folks on the centigrade scale, 35°f (2°C) yesterday morning. Just slightly warmer this morning perhaps because a little sprinkle of rain fell just before daylight. (You thought it would be a sprinkle of snow, right?)

:) Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The third night in the thirties ... let me think, what was that word I was looking at recently that would be impossible to say for someone who speaks with a lisp, like I used to ;)?

Not thirties ;). Anyway, it has been down in the low single digitTH' - for you folks on the centigrade scale, 35°f (2°C) yesterday morning. Just slightly warmer this morning perhaps because a little sprinkle of rain fell just before daylight. (You thought it would be a sprinkle of snow, right?)

:) Steve

i see Colorado got some very much needed snow/rains and may get some more yet this week. i'm hoping somehow some rains get down into New Mexico to help with the fires. several relatives are close enough to some of them to be a bit worried and ready to evacuate if needed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see that Al Roker (NBC) has "Mountain Snow" on his map for this part of the world. I don't know where that might be. The Denver area had quite a snow storm very recently but that is many hundreds of miles to the south ;). Somewhere between, I imagine.

A local ski area will be open for the holiday weekend but it is a very remarkable event. Probably a lot of grooming going on but their website says that there is over 80" at the lodge 🙃.

The news at this much lower elevation is that there will be a new record for the latest 70° (21°C) afternoon high in over 130 years of record-keeping.

Very moderate temperatures forecast here and I have to begin hardening off the tomato plants! Latest ever to transplant out in the big veggie garden! It will be like I've returned to my 2500' garden of the 70's ... that's the 1970's ;).

Steve