Your Weather, 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! I'll probably get people upset but ... have some sympathy for us folks in drought conditions, please ;).

I was up early and washed an afghan quilt that DW uses. Had it out on the line under the deck roof by 4:30. Well, we had .07" of rain 2 days ago. It was 49° this morning (9°C). Humidity rises during hours of darkness but there's a clear, blue sky this morning. Four and a half hours later, it still hasn't made it to 60° (16C) but I thought that I'd move that quilt out to the line between deck roof and garage so that it would be in the sunshine.

It's nearly dry ... came back and read @flowerbug's post. Hey, with 50% humidity now and below 20% this afternoon, I'm not in much trouble "on the line." Double clothes on most Summer wash daze.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mom turned the heat on this morning because it is so humid in here that she can't get her hanging fabric to dry enough. she didn't want to turn on the AC as it was already cool enough in here that she was putting on warmer clothes...

later today we'll probably turn the AC on. so there ya go...

when she was complaining last night that things weren't drying enough i was going to suggest that we turn on the heat just to make sure the furnace was even working before the fall heating season kicks in full force - then we got talking about something else and i didn't bring it up.

ok, time to get going, busy day again. this is the time of the year when i wish i could clone myself and get a lot more done.
Don't we all then we would have twice the energy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One year, a young Palouse boy was given the task of ensuring the entire village had enough wood for winter. This was the first time he had been given such an honor and he wanted to do it right. Before he went to work he decided to call the weatherman to ask what kind of a winter was to be expected. The weather man told him it was going to be a warm and uneventful winter. The boy thought to himself, 'this is great. I won't have to work too hard and I'll be able to look good in front of the whole tribe.'

Just to be safe, he gathered a few of his friends and they went to work for a week. At the end of the week, after chopping and piling the wood, the boy decided to give the weatherman a second call. The weatherman told him it was going to be a very cold winter. Shocked at this sudden change and not wanting to disappoint the elders of his village, he gathered more of his friends and they went to work. For two weeks they cut and piled wood, hoping that it would be enough to last the whole winter.

Once again the boy called the weatherman and this time the weatherman told him, "Son, its going to be a very bitter, cold and long winter. Maybe the worst winter on record."

Exasperated, the boy had to ask, "What makes you say that sir?"

The weatherman replies, "The Indians are gathering wood like crazy!"

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today it was finally a cool day. We were down to our last salsa jar so canned today. Glad that project is done.

Roasted the last of the tomatoes and froze them. Will make more salsa another day. Fortunately not that many so it should be easy.

Mary

Attachments

• 841A3438-0DCC-4D6F-B9EA-8C1C048392A3.jpeg
    841A3438-0DCC-4D6F-B9EA-8C1C048392A3.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 53

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Up until now, the summer has been close to normal - as in uneventful (except for wind) and fairly dry. The grass should turn brown for awhile in late Summer, and it did. This has been a welcome change, after several years of record precipitation. The gardens have thrived on the resultant increase in sunlight, partially compensating for the late planting this year.

Rain is one of the signs of Fall here though, and we are getting it now. It's been years since we had a "cutoff low" (that just spins overhead, moving slowly if at all) but we have one now. As I type this, it has been almost 36 hours of continuous rain... no thunder, just a steady soaking. Over 3" so far here, but up to 8" just South of me. The rain is forecast to continue through most of the day tomorrow. We needed this rain, the ground in the gardens was starting to crack.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we may have gotten into the high 40sF last night. depending upon cloud cover and such, but when i checked the weather forecast it said it was 51F. we're not close to that forecast station so it could easily be that far off...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a sprinkling of rain! Smoke in the air dropped to Unhealthy for Some.

Do you ever desire escape and then realize that if you took up residence, even for a short stay, that you may quickly wish to return to the familiar. @Artichoke Lover made me think of this and I spent some time reading about Palau, in the South Pacific. That is ... until I reached the information on climate :oops:. Low temps in the mid to high 70's, highs in the high 80's, with rain, rain, rain - and this, year-around!??

A U.S. migrant might have an easy trip and stay but comfortable? I have trouble imagining it would less than an ordeal ;).

Steve, seeing the possibility of a little relief on the horizon :D

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the moon was bright and out for a short while last night and then it gradually all started glowing as the froggy weather moved in again. this time of the season it isn't unusual for it to be foggy in our little botttomland area.

warming trend for the rest of the week to get us back into the mid-80sF. won't complain too much since now we know what is coming and it also adds a week or so to the average frost date (at least - i hope for an extra week or two anyways).

Latest posts