Your Weather, 2024

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You deserve it after your struggles with the door in the wind!
Thank you! Starting Monday, we’ll get a predicted 4 inches of rain over 3 days. The lack of a door isn’t done with me yet. I’ll have to shimmy under the flap, where’s a video when I need one? I could have used yesterday to start work on a new door, but I just enjoyed the beautiful day, hanging out with the dogs. LOL
I did look at the door frame, I think I only have to beat one 2x4 out and replace it. Then build a new door and hang it—-AFTER the rain!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything is closed up again today. That would be 4 days of missed school for the Vancouver and Portland areas. (Mon was a holiday). Portland schools are a mess - the teachers were on strike for 15 school days. Add 4 more to the list of make up and the kids will be in school almost thru July. UGH for all.

I haven't left the house in 7 days. I'm going crazy, I tell ya!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Rhodie Ranch , DS is an office worker in Portland. He works from home one day/week but it looks like ALL days this week. One of the workers had meetings in-person one day. He told DS that he shouldn't have gone anywhere — fell down twice and needed people pushing to move his car away from the curb.

Here, we had a colder run up, probably have a little more snow than Portland, but not the ice. That may change today. When I was out shoveling (all of about 3/4") overnight snow – it was sprinkling snow or water. Hard to know which but it was tiny ice crystals as soon as it touched down. Hard to believe it could rain when the air temperature is 20⁰f (-7⁰C).

I have long admired the "little olde lady" who lives about 70-80 yards down the road. For about the last 5 or 6 years, she has worked as a crossing guard at the neighborhood elementary school. Shoveling, I looked up and wondered what she was doing. Then, she stands up, limps a couple of steps towards her home, stops, turns around, and limps on across the road towards the school. She had fallen and, from the way she was walking, my guess is that she will need some days to recover.

Considering her age ... it might have not only been a mistake to continue on to work but a career ending experience, at least for this Winter. I'm not where I can see her helping kids crossing the arterial but she sure looked crippled up after that fall. Imagine if that arterial becomes more and more slick as this day continues and she has to walk out into the intersection every time a kid shows up.

Well, the heavy clouds may be dropping a little something on us in a continuing way but the landscape is so white and bright out there that we don't need indoor lights on.

🕯️Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
During the Winter, I seldom go out my back door... but do enjoy watching the layer cake building up on the picnic table.
20240119_143006.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Iced or snowed in does start getting to you. Fortunately I don’t have to deal with much of that and not for very long at a time.

i went out and shovelled today even if it is going to rain and melt this week. it wasn't even enough to work up a sweat. nice that the sun came out again. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it didn't get quite as cold here last night as the forecast warned and the winds were calm so that was a help. -16C or 4F. not too bad. we'll be above freezing and raining the most of the week after Monday.