Your Weather, 2024

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' i wonder if wearing cleated golf shoes or something similar would help your little old lady neighbor.
There are also YakTrax that look to me to be easily pulled off when people go inside a building. Off course, some of the slipperiest routes people have to take are on bare floors made worse by water and snow.

My Hushpuppies serve well in most circumstances.

digitS' on Ice

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, it looks like Winter may be coming next week? BUT, we’re gaining almost 5 minutes of daylight a day now.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.png
    IMG_0759.png
    812.5 KB · Views: 27

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Pacific Northwest Freezing Rain 2024 has arrived.

Fortunately, the first round, on Friday, didn't really happen. So, most commuters and school kids didn't have to deal with it. Sprinkles began Saturday midday and became "rain" sometime last night. Not heavy and the snow-covered ground is frozen solid. Looking out into the darkness this morning – every light is brightly reflected at ground level. I suppose that if I was flying above the neighborhood, our rooftops and trees would be glistening from the outdoor lights. Now, let's hope 🤞that the power stays on. Temperatures have been rising and it is nearly above freezing with more warming forecast.

Steve, finally on a freshly snow-plowed road with the looks of a skating rink.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we are on the upswing now in temperatures to a balmy 10F (windchll -1F) and heading higher for the next few days. there's not much i need to worry about doing outside now so that's all fine, but it will be interesting if all the forecast rains come down heavy in a short period of time...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
heart-on-ice-cold-hearted-1cilxa5f5xl4krqe.gif
Ice storm tomorrow!!! :eek::eek::eek:About to go out to do the evening pony feeding. I will fill the water buckets 2x, and leave them in the barn for tomorrow's morning feeding. I woke up to 2 degrees F. Now it is 19 degrees F. New heated hose is working reliably.
I have a set of rubber boot/sneaker attachments with spikes that I have used before to negotiate ice.
Last week, I Finally emptied a new bag of ice melt so that I have it inside the house, inside the garage, and available to use on the cement patch outside of the back door.
By tomorrow evening we will be above 32 degrees F and ice crises will be over.
Tuesday we go above freezing and stay there until next Monday morning.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I kept DH home today. DD and DH found out that Both courthouses were closed today. We have had freezing drizzle since 5AM.
Eva almost slipped coming back in on the side (south facing) steps this morning.
There is still enough snow that I could walk out to feed the ponies. I had filled their water buckets last night. I had inTENDED to refill them after I was done feeding, but I left Cup and Cakes' stall open AND the gate to the Inner Sanctum. He escaped. I figured that he wouldn't stay out very long. First, he was slipping on the ice AND he had no buddy to run with him. NOT as much fun. He found his way back into his stall after about 10 minutes.
Dinner is no problem. We are picking up "Snowflake", our beef this year, this coming Saturday, but I still have roasts downstairs, so DH and I are having a pot roast for dinner.
High of 29 degrees F today, high of 53 predicted for Thursday, and days and days of rain.

Latest posts