Mobile Home Goddess

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it's the material that the wall are made out of. I once tried to paint the inside of some kitchen cabinets and nothing would stick. We did everything right and I even sanded. But I think the problem was that they weren't wood but some type of composite material.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay , It is about time that the "Mobile Home Godess" contacts the home manufacturer and gives them a piece of her mind, don't you think ? :barnie :rant :duc

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
bay, I wonder what type of paint the manufacturer used. Can you contact them to ask? It has to be something for non wood. I wonder too if paint that auto shops use would work.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe you can contact the manufacturer of your home for some insight. I like NYBoy's wallpaper idea. My house is an old Victorian Farmhouse. That was covered in 70's paneling when we both the house. We have removed it all and actually found some old tongue and groove wainscotting that takes a great coat of whit paint. When we were young and poor I wallpapered over the paneling and the walls looked fantastic. I bought paintable wallpaper for my adjoining kitchen and it looks just like wooden wainscotting. I would try a piece on a wall and wait overnight. It may not stick to those walls either. What about a coat of liquid sandpaper under the primer? I am very impressed with the paint store manager coming out to your house!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, my house is almost the same. when i pulled the 70's grungy ,dark, hardboard made to look like wood panels off the walls in the kitchen i found about 3 layers of wallpaper. the last of which looks like it was the original from the 20's or 30's and it has a weird crystallized effect from the glue used to hang it. i hate to say but i painted over since it was just too hard to remove.

my mother did something years ago to her paneled basement. there is this type of wallpaper (has no pattern and is just white) meant to go over paneling that won't accept paint easily. you have to use the glue to hang it but then it tightens enough that you don't know that it went over paneling.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a lot of textured paintable wallpapers. We were actually lucky that in an old house it was all just paneled in 70's stye-easy to take down. We tore it off room by room and put up sheetrock. We put up a big addition in the 80's and after doing that I swore I would only do "New" if we ever moved. However we would never get the kind of land that we have in a new property. It all looks new now, though.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm back home, kicked back in my recliner. I have a glass of Llano Sweet Red wine and life is good. :thumbsup

http://llanowine.com/index.php?page...category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=30

The second coat is looking good, there are still small clusters of tiny white pin dots, but they are hard to see. So I have reached the conclusion that if all anybody has to do with their empty life is scan my walls looking for white pin dots of failure on the Great Paint Escapade, then obviously they are useless parasites on society and should be wrapped in dirty paper towels and dumped in the lake. ;)

I actually have the master bedroom, 2 closets and bathroom, DONE. As in finished. Two coats of paint on the walls and 2 coats on the trim, doors and crown moldings. Also have the living room done. Progress. Still need to put second coat on the other two bedrooms, plus trim, doors and moldings. Then I can start putting down the floors.

Ordered 587 white pine tongue and groove boards, got 610. Daughter took a couple home with her today to experiment on. We are deciding on a whitewash or pickled finish, then polyurethane. Still a lot of prep work to be done before can start laying the floor.

Floor Boards.jpg

Note the fancy folding chairs in the background, one of those and an empty 5 gallon paint bucket makes a passable recliner. :lol:

I'll go back next Wednesday to finish painting. Maybe be able to start on floors. :fl

This might turn out ok. My Imitation Farm House Pseudo Doublewide. :gig

Last edited:

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know it's way too late now, but out of curosity, exactly which Kilz did you use? They have several different formulas. If the Kilz spread over the walls OK, but the paint didn't spread over the Kilz...just saying...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know it's way too late now, but out of curosity, exactly which Kilz did you use? They have several different formulas. If the Kilz spread over the walls OK, but the paint didn't spread over the Kilz...just saying...
Good question. Oil based, which the Sherwin Williams manager said should have not been a problem. I showed him the buckets the Kilz came in. The paint I bought would work over oil based Kilz.

Latest posts