10 NEW BUNRABS (new pics 2+ weeks)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Congrats hoodat on your new bunnies! ;)
I wouldn't be able to resist just picking one up.
I've already handled each one just to be sure there are no problems I didn't see. All look fine. Mama doesn't approve but she goes along with it.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You do have to get over the cute factor. It was tough for the ducks. Rabbits, it is easier for me. I have a scar where I was scratched by an I'll tempered buck. My brother is actually missing a finger tip because of a rabbit.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
You do have to get over the cute factor. It was tough for the ducks. Rabbits, it is easier for me. I have a scar where I was scratched by an I'll tempered buck. My brother is actually missing a finger tip because of a rabbit.
You can always tel if someone has been keeping rabbits very long by the scars on their forearms and backs of their hands. Sooner or later you get careless and get raked. I really got it once when I was holding a doe and a dog ran up to the other side of the fence and started barking. Boy did that bunrab take off, and she used the back of my hand for a launching pad. Usually it's just a rake though. Biters are rare and immediately get culled out of my herd. That's a trait I don't need to breed in. :barnie

Shiloh Acres

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Awww .. Congrats on the bunnies. :)

You DO have to get over the cute factor. I have a nice litter of only 3 surviving NZW x Cali bunnies that I've handled daily, just cuz they've been so huge and fat from day one. I'm actually tempted to keep a doe and even a buck from that litter, though I'm sure one reason they are so big is cuz there's only 3 left. But that would be two more I don't have to kill. ;)

They are all cute though. I think maybe it would be harder fir me in your situation, being able to tell them apart. Mostly I raise purebreds, but even the crosses are consistent in their coloring.

Congrats again! :) Always good to see a good mama first time around!

Shiloh Acres

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh, I actually hit reply to comment about the scars part. My grandma and grandpa raised LOTS of rabbits -- he kept around 2000 I think at any one time in a huge barn. He definitely had the scars, and so did my grandma. I've been just lucky so far, no serious scratches. I think mine are pretty well too even-tempered to bite, though I guess I could get surprised one day. I agree though, I like the docile, sweet rabbits that you only have to worry about them kicking and only if they get scared. Much easier to handle. I remember my grandparents being seriously bloodied up sometimes!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats! Ten is a pretty big litter isn't it? They look so heathy & plump. :thumbsup

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes ten is a lot. It's rare for a doe to have that many without some runts. The problem with big litters is that if there are more kits than teats one of them does without and if a kit misses even one feeding in the first ten days they are usually goners. They don't have the strength to fight their way to the milk next time she feeds. Most rabbits only feed the young once a day, some twice. Rabbit milk is so rich that once a day is enough. In nature, the more often a doe feeds the more chance of a predator finding the nest so she stays away when not feeding. The number of teats varies but I've never seen a doe with more than ten. Most have only eight.

Latest posts