2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I took a better look at my #34 pole beans and sure enough the one vine has two different colored flowers. They start out pink like the flower towards the top of the picture and then turn yellow when they open like the flower lower in the picture. I also noticed that some of the vines are green and some are purple. Looking forward to seeing what each vine produces!

Untitled by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

These are my 7 Brown Star Gold Band plants. They are staying small and bushy, plus the leaves are not looking healthy. Does anyone know what is wrong with the leaves?
Brown Star Gold Band by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

These are my Cape Sugar plants. I have a total of 8 plants growing, four on each bamboo pole.
Cape Sugar by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This should be a better shot of my 39B Blossom. It only took about a dozen shots to finally get one in focus.
39B Bloom.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Ridge, it's nothing like what I envisioned. It looks more lavender to me. Fuschia would have more of a bright hot pink. We've discussed Fuschia before and people here have disagreed with me. Wish I could see it in real life.

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree, I'd call it fuchsia too.

I have one or two #45 plants the leaves look like it may have a virus, I'll wait a bit to see if it outgrows this before I pull them. A couple of my #45s are doing really well, some are hanging in but still growing and some are just sitting sulking so gave them a bit of fish fertilizer this morning.

Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner, what color would you call that? I've seen lighter colored blossoms I would say are pink, but this I would almost call Fushia.

I got some fun beans didn't I. I have a couple of others that look a lot like the 39B above. I wrote down fuschia when I first saw it, pink doesn't do it justice, but maybe Mary is right with lavender. Both the bush and pole version of 39B versions have the same color blossom.

Most of them are a pale pink, I mean really pale, almost white but definitely a bit of pink. And I have a couple that I'm calling white, including this one, 32D. It's sort of yellow before it opens but pure white when it opens. I guess white is the right way to call this one. I can see really pale pink in another 32D plant, definitely a different color. I haven't been able to get one of those pinks to focus but I'll keep trying.

32D White.JPG

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Quick update. Botosani Cyclops and Passage to India are both setting pods. Nothing noticed yet on the two tepary beans.

Interesting to note that the growth habit on two of the Passage to India plants is bush, not pole. I'll be watching the seeds to see if they differ from the original seed.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quick update. Botosani Cyclops and Passage to India are both setting pods. Nothing noticed yet on the two tepary beans.

Interesting to note that the growth habit on two of the Passage to India plants is bush, not pole. I'll be watching the seeds to see if they differ from the original seed.
Glad that you are growing the Botsani Cyclops. I got only one seed to come up and it isn't making a lot of beans. I hope yours is doing well so maybe between the two of us, Russ can have a good batch of seeds.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I finally got the photos I was trying for. I'm calling the first 32D White. The other two I'm calling 32D Pink. I only have two 32D plants, so one of each. The pink is really subtle but I'm calling these two different bloom colors. Growth habit, pod color, everything else looks the same for both so maybe I'm wrong. It will be interesting to see the dried beans.

32D White.JPG
32D Pink.JPG
32D Pink 1.JPG

Latest posts