2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll have some more pretty soon. Before a rain today I grabbed a few that were almost there, did not want them sprouting in the pod if they get wet. I've had that before. I'll let the pods dry another day or two before I open them.

I figure I have a shot at six different beans from the 39's alone based on the different colors/patterns I planted and growth habit, bloom color, and pod color. I have to get my drying frames built. So far I'm using the @marshallsmyth method, plastic coffee cans. But I'll soon run out of coffee cans. I have my plans using ripped 2x4's and old window screen and I have the materials, I just need to do it. I'll post photos when I get it done.

Here are some almost cured pods with light pink on them, 39A's bush with pink blossoms. I'm really looking forward to these.

39A striped cured pod.JPG

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
2016-07-14 22.18.11.jpg 2016-07-14 22.16.35.jpg 2016-07-14 22.15.17.jpg 2016-07-14 22.14.14.jpg 2016-07-14 22.12.12.jpg 2016-07-14 22.11.07.jpg 2016-07-14 22.09.08.jpg 2016-07-14 22.07.34.jpg
All of my grow-outs have started up the poles now, except for #48 (the two small ones took longer to germinate) and #49 (only survivor of 2 seed sample) which haven't made any runners yet. On #47, the two plants to the right both started out with red stems and veining and speckled cotyledons, but right now the touch of red is only evident in the back right plant. The two on the left were plain green. Wait and see I guess when the pods start to form. I'd expect those two will have red speckled pods.

I went for broke and planted all of the seed I was given. I should have plenty of the other 5 grow-outs to taste test. :)

Look at the cool leaves on these Black Neptune limas that @marshallsmyth sent me! Camera doesn't really do it justice, but they have a pretty silver pattern along the veins of their dark green leaves.
20160714_220259.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few more of mine. All of these are from the same vine, the 27's are from one vine, the 38A White are from one vine, the 39B Pole striped are from one vine, and so forth. I have other vines of a lot of these so I'm waiting to see what I get off of them.

339B Pole Solid.JPG

The 39B Pole solid green pods, no stripes on the pod. The striped pod is shown a couple of posts back. The one bean is what I planted. These sure look purple to me, a deep purple. And they appear solid, while the one I planted was patterned.

339A bush white Solid.JPG

The 39A Bush White blossom, solid green pod. The one dark bean is what I planted. At first they looked solid white but there are pink markings around the hilum.

39A Bush Pink.JPG

The 39A Bush pink blossom, pink striped pod. S\Planted the same bean as just above. A white bean with pink markings.

27 1st.JPG

The 27. The dark bean is what I planted. I did not segregate these out at all when I planted them. There were some minor differences in shade but I figured that was probably just from them being old seeds. These were supposed to be bush, they are all pole with similar blossoms and pods. These are from two different pods on the same vine. I have about a dozen different vines, all growing vigorously and setting a lot of pods. I'm really anxious for some of the pods on different vines to dry out. I really want to see what else I might get. After all, these are basically from hybrids, you never know what you will get from hybrids.

Russ, none of mine look like the bean I planted. Won't I need to grow them another year or two before I can name them? Don't we need to see that they are somewhat consistent?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner, Go ahead and name your beans. Actually they are not bonafide varieties until they can be grown for three seasons without any changes. If you want you can continue to grow them out in future years. I can also do grow outs of them here as well. I think it's good that we got to see what they produced before the seed got too old to grow at all, and now we got fresh seed to work with. I won't do anything more with all these beans until we know that they are stablized.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I plan to grow some of these again next year. I won't decide which ones until I see them all. I don't think I can grow all of them, way too many different kinds but we will see. With some of them I only have one plant so I won't have a lot of seeds of those, but with fresh seeds I shouldn't need a lot. I have one that hasn't even set any pods yet, a vigorous vining plant. It has started blooming so I'm sure I'll get something off of it.

I'll hold off naming them until I see all of them. In have some names in mind but probably not enough. I may have to get creative, if I'm counting right I'll need at least 13 names and I have a feeling that may not be enough.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree, some pretty beans. Those pinks are turning brown as they dry out, a shame. That pink is kind of striking. The dark purple seem to be holding their color though. Sure hope so, they are pretty. They look better than the picture. I have a special name in mind for them if they hold their color.

Latest posts