2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is something I"m wondering about. Two flower pots with my original bean Red Turtle. I mixed up two different soils from Walmart and Menards in both pots. I might have gotten the mixture a little different in the second pot. The plants in both pots are only about a week different in age. Notice how much darker green the plants in Pot #1 is compared to Pot #2. Same number of plants (3). in both pots. The plants in the first pot are now starting to bloom and the foliage is so much more plentiful than on the plants in the second pot.

Does anyone know of some liguid fertilizer I can treat pot #2 with that will get those plants looking and growing more like the plants in pot #1?

IMG_0010[1].JPG

Pot #1

IMG_0011[1].JPG

Pot #2

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just curious! Anyone on TheEasyGarden.com going to the Seed Savers Exchange Campout/Conference this weekend? If yes it will be fun to bump into you there. I don't know how many on this forum know it but I am a member of SSE.

Sam BigDeer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would love to attend their Campout/Conference but am unable to do so..
I've been an off-and-on member for years; I have noted in your posts that you were well acquainted with them but didn't know you were a member, kudos to you..
Sam

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is something I"m wondering about. Two flower pots with my original bean Red Turtle. I mixed up two different soils from Walmart and Menards in both pots. I might have gotten the mixture a little different in the second pot. The plants in both pots are only about a week different in age. Notice how much darker green the plants in Pot #1 is compared to Pot #2. Same number of plants (3). in both pots. The plants in the first pot are now starting to bloom and the foliage is so much more plentiful than on the plants in the second pot.

Does anyone know of some liguid fertilizer I can treat pot #2 with that will get those plants looking and growing more like the plants in pot #1?

View attachment 14933
Pot #1

View attachment 14934
Pot #2

I would check the soil pH first. Judging by the yellow cast, I suspect it could be iron chlorosis from being too alkaline, high pH. You can alter it easily with a watering or two of Miracid if so. Or second guess, it could be a nitrogen deficiency making them yellowish, which you could fix with a diluted watering with fish emulsion. Since it is hard to reduce excess nitrogen, I would test pH first to be sure before adding either.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I use liquid seaweed to give my plants a boost when needed.

You say you have 3 plants in each pot, how big are your pots? I'm doing 3 plants in a 5 gal.
Annette

The pots are 15 inches wide at the top and 13 inches deep. I would bet they are 5 or 6 gal pots easily. When filled with soil I can just barely pick one of them up and cary it.

The soil mix in both pots are the same two soils. I might have gotten a larger quantity of one and less of the other in one of the pots.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been wanting to see what some of my dried beans will look like. I got my first chance by collecting two pods last night.

These are 39B. I have three different plants off the 39B seeds, a bush green-pod, a pole green-pod, and a pole striped-pod. These are from the pole striped-pod. I saved one bean to compare. You can see what it looks like in this photo, a two-toned red. That two-toned red is what I planted.

39B Striped.JPG

Looking at these in the sun, I'm calling these ivory with purple markings.

These are from two pods off the same plant. I have other pods on this plant and I have other pole striped pod vines. I don't know if I'm more curious about what the other pods on this plant produce or what the other pole striped-pod vines produce. Or the green-pod 39B's. Or my 27's, 32's, or 38's. I just buckled my seat belt, I think it will be a wild ride.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner, Wow nice looking seed. You have grown a good assortment of these outcrossed beans. You will have plenty to look forward too. I'm curious what they are all going to produce. It's just amazing that we are getting all this beautiful seed from all those seeds that looked old and very darkened with time. You will have fun too with plenty of naming to do.

Latest posts