2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm not sure about snap vs dry bean. Should I try some at this stage to find out? I usually don't eat snap beans raw, I like them cooked.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner did you try any of your beans yet?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thinking the #45's were all going to be pole beans I planted them along a section of netting. Only two are displaying pole tendencies, in fact one of them is outdoing all the rest, well over the top of the netting, just starting to flower now. The other I would class as a wax, the color of the young pods is more a creamy beige than yellow, it seems to have topped out at 8 ft. The pods are starting to dry down now from these two I should get a fair bit of seed.
The rest are mostly bush, some just barely hanging on, one or two might be called a half runner or twining bush. Some haven't even produced a flower, one has one pod.
If I only get one or two seeds from these I'll keep them back and grow again next year before sending back to Russ.The half runner or twining bush has one or two purple flushed green pods, hoping for a few more.

Weird, weird, summer, coolest summer I can remember whereas last year we had drought conditions and the highest temps in recorded history here. Last night we had thunder and lightning followed by a cloudburst of torrential rain, didn't last more than a couple of hours, my garden loved it and so did I, I didn't have to drag the hose around today:ya.

Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner did you try any of your beans yet?
A couple, @Tricia77 . Some of them I only have one plant or they are not producing that well so I'm saving every pod I can for seeds. A few of them are so prolific I'll have lots of seeds so I've tried a couple of those. I have not hit a good green bean yet, the pod was way too chewy. I have a couple more I'll try but most are all going to seed.

I have another interesting one. The bean is a raspberry red when I first open the pod but I'm waiting for it to dry out before I post any photos. They can change dramatically as they dry.

I think you and Annette are going to have the same kind of fun when you start getting dried beans. None of mine look anything like the bean I planted.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave my Red Turtle in Pot #2 (Post #193, Page 20) a shot of Expert plant food about a week ago. The leaves are turning darker green. I bought this stuff at Walmart several years ago and use it when I'm growing tomato plants. Never tried it on beans, but it seems to be making these bean plants look healthier. They are also starting to bloom.

Latest posts