2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got the packet Russ. They look good.

I see you labelled the Malawi Pinto as a pole bean. On the website I saw it as "unknown". Doesn't matter, it will go the same place I planned. So will the Katusi Princess whatever it is.

Packet #27 all look the same so they will not be segregated when I plant.

I'll have to look at #32 carefully. There are at least two different beans in there, a dark solid and a lighter patterned. I'm not sure if there is enough shade variation in the patterned ones to warrant a third separate planting. I don't think so, just natural variations in color. I'll make that judgment when I open the plastic and look at them in a good natural light.

I'll look at #38 when I open the plastic bag in good natural light. I think they all look alike but there are a couple that may get planted by themselves. I think it's just a bit of a difference in shade of brown.

#39 looks to be fun. There are clearly three different beans in there. I knew that when I asked for it. I already have three names in mind for that one but I'll wait until I see how they grow to see if they earn those names. Out of these four bean packets I expect to be naming seven beans if they breed true.

Do you happen to know if these are supposed to be used as green beans, dried beans, or anything else? I generally don't try any as green beans since I want to be as sure as possible I can get seeds back to you.

It's still too early for me to plant beans here too. I'll plant some Blue Lake bush for some eating green beans first and when I get good germination from them I'll know it's safe to start these.

Last edited:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy VA,

Tepary beans are easier than folks think. They simply prefer their soil very well drained. So, a raised bed, even just 6 inches raised, is preferable for teparies.
Tepary beans will grow as if they are miniature pole beans if they are happiest, but they don't need to be at their happiest to produce. They do well if you put 3 seeds in the soil around a 3 foot rough stick, each of those 3 seeds separated from each other 2 or 3 inches. Don't worry if only 1 or 2 grow, but they tend to germinate pretty well and easily. Water them just the same as any other bean. Once the pods begin ripening, it is best to pick them every few days because overripe pods tend to pop open.

I'm looking forward to growing tepary beans.[/QUOTE]

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Ridgerunner,

I suggested in the opening post of this thread that everyone presprout the beans between moist paper towels about 4 or 5 days before you are ready to plant. The germination rate is not high on all these samples but you will get some of the seed to grow. No need to waste space in your garden on seeds that won't grow.

Your packet #32 had about 1 out of 5 seeds germinated. Packet #38 was pretty good about 4 out of 5 germinated. Packet #39 germination was about 50%. Packet #27 was good too 5 out of 6 seeds germinated. So you can take it from there.

I don't know if the varieties were snap beans or dry types. Snap beans tend to have smaller seed. A lot of these beans look like they could be dry beans judging by the seed size.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on germination rates. I do intend to pre-sprout, I think you get better germination rates that way. But I won't start that until my other beans I plant in the ground have sprouted so I know the ground is warm enough to support growth. I wasn't clear on that.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 received Witsa and WB-PKT #45 (Chase River) in the mail this afternoon, put 15 (half of the WB's) in damp paper towel to sprout along with 8 Witsa. The WB's will be grown on netting in a raised bed apart from the other beans I'm growing, plants will be spaced out but will bag a few flowers on each plant. I'll take a picture of the sprouted seed before planting, give it a number so I can compare what each seed produces, to the naked eye the WB's sent look almost identical. I did this one other year with a mix I received in trade, it was a fun project too.
DSCN6511.JPG
:smackWB-PKT #45 not Witsa

Annette

Last edited:

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good morning Bluejay id like the wb ok 28 this year and one of your choice. I'm making room for a pole bean also so just let me know
Thanks Nancy

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I picked up this little tip about planting bean seeds in pots it was referring to runner beans but I didn't see why it couldn't be used with all bean seed, and have been taking the extra minute to do this both when planting in pots or in the ground.

"for uniformity of germination and for ideal growth, runner beans should be planted vertically.The small ‘nib’ on the scar of the bean seed should always point downwards."

Annette

Latest posts