2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @the1honeycomb !

#28 has all been given out. If you check the numbers at the bottom of the bean photos. The numbers in black are still available. Take another look and see what you might like to try.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight
The Witsa variety is really cool. They are pole growers, but not real heavy vined. They are definitely Appalachian podded, you know, greasy or at least semi greasy, and very tender, even puffy, like a salad green when they fatten up. Those pods get long.

Witsa seeds are white, and barely medium sized, and they look tender. That's from memory.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the information @marshallsmyth I became interested in this variety when a gal up here was looking for information on it, apparently it's a variety quite popular in South Africa but seed is getting hard to find, this fact alone is what tweaked my interest :).

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 the Witsa I got from you in the mail on Tuesday have sprouted, so they are now planted in their own individual pots, when they get their first true set of leaves I'll plant them out, we have a real slug snail problem here so they'll get a band of copper mesh around them until they start climbing. Still waiting on the WB-PKT #45 (Chase River) but had a peek at them this morning and the seed has started to swell and no sign of mold, so, so far, looking good. Candy, the ones that grew a true bush last year took a couple of weeks to sprout, stubborn little suckers but all is well they are also planted in their own individual little pots now.
Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @aftermidnight,

I got germination on this old seed at around 4 and 5 days although the percentage wasn't always high. I did get something out of most of the sample. Sounds good about the Witsa. Wow! Took your Candy beans two weeks to sprout. Seeds here that take that long usually are molding and smelling and ready for the garbage can. I never heard of a bean taking that long to sprout except wild bean seed.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My seeds arrived yesterday!!! Thank you Russ. I am growing #34 and #50 which are labeled as pole beans on the first page, but my packs are labeled bush. Russ can you let me know which they are please. I am also excited to grow Kilham Goose, Solwezi #2, Brown Star Gold Band and Cape Sugar.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Tricia77,

Your selections are indeed pole beans. I have my doubts about #50. The packet I had said the seed was harvested in 1994. If it doesn't grow let me know right away and I can send you another one of these outcrosses.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi @Tricia77,

Your selections are indeed pole beans. I have my doubts about #50. The packet I had said the seed was harvested in 1994. If it doesn't grow let me know right away and I can send you another one of these outcrosses.
Do you recommend soaking the seeds in a wet paper towel for germination of #50? I hope I can get at least one to germinate, I like the looks of it. They are mostly white with a little splash of black on one edge.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
image.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will crows eat bean sprouts? They just wiped out my corn and I am mad. :he I planted my long green beans and my regular butterbeans, so I guess I'll find out. I would be devastated if they ate the beans you sent me, Russ. I haven't planted them yet, waiting on the beans I just planted to come up and tell me they are doing ok.

Latest posts