2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Red Turtle" a bean I discovered then named growing among "Black Turtle" in 1979. I was so confidant that it was stable that I first listed it in the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook in 1980. Very productive. Seed Savers Exchange de-accessioned the bean last year in 2016 after having for over 30 years in their posession as it did not fit the new accessioning criteria for their collections.

Red Turtle.jpg

#92 - Red Turtle

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Choclate #7" This first photo is the 2014 version of the bean. The second photo is what was produced this year. I have no way of knowing this year, if the the original seed coat would have been reproduced as the local visiting deer only left me with one plant.

Chocolate #7-2014 .jpg

Chocolate #7 - 2014

Chocolate #7-2017.jpg

#93 - Chocolate #7 - 2017

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Blooming Prairie" This bean is one of Robert Lobitz's named beans. It grows with beautiful glossy purple pods. Very productive. I got the best seed crop from it that I have had yet. Shares a similar seed coat color and pattern with several other of Robert's beans.

Blooming Prairie #1.jpg

#94 - Blooming Prairie

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Gurnsey" This bean segregated from "Holstein" in 2016. I know I have the name misspelled but this is the spelling I chose to use for this bean. This bean produced two other segregations this year. The segregation that has a small spot of color on either side of the eye (photo #3) is a pattern I'm finding in many of the segregations produced by other beans that I have grown.

Gurnsey #1.jpg

#95 - Gurnsey

Gurnsey #2.jpg

Gurnsey Segregation 2017

Gurnsey #3.jpg

Gurnsey Segregation 2017

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Lavender" Discovered in my 1979 bean patch and named by me. The seeds seem somewhat irregular in shape. Seemingly not very attractive. "Lavender is being kept as part of the SSE bean collection. I am waiting for them to deassession this bean also. I have thought about no longer growing the bean, but the personal connection to it makes me give it a try every now and then. This year it produced a nice looking solid medium brown seed that I probably will give a try next year.

Lavender #1.jpg

#97 - lavender

Lavender Brown #2.jpg

Lavender off type 2017

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Purple Face" Another bean of discovery in my garden and named by me about 1980. This year the bean did not give me back very much seed that looked like "Purple Face" but produced a lot of dark mottled seed (Second Photo) and a very pretty bean with an eye patch the looks very much like "Karachaganak" (Third Photo).

Purple Face #1.jpg

#100 - Purple Face

Purple Face #2.jpg

Purple Face off type 2017

Purple Face.jpg

Purple Face Off Type 2017

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Blue Gray Pinto" Another one of my outcross discoveries and self named beans of the early 1980's. I don't know what made me see blue in the seed as I can't see that anymore. However the seed grew nicer looking than I have ever seen it before this year and it produced a bean much plumper not as flattened as a pinto but marked like one.

Blue Gray Pinto #1.jpg

#101 - Blue Gray Pinto

Blue Gray Pinto #3.jpg

Blue Gray Pinto Off Type 2017

Latest posts