2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Menomenee" This is an original bean of mine discovered in a bean I have forgotten around the early 1980's. Smaller than a Navy bean. I think perhaps only 2 per cent of the crop was "Menomenee" The bean produced two off types which comprise most of the seeds I got from this grow out.

Menomenee #1.jpg

#83 - Menomenee

Menomenee - Black #2.jpg

Menomenee off type

Menomenee - Seg #3.jpg

Menomenee off type

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Fantasy Rose" Some of the seeds of this bean seemed more pink when I discovered it growing among supposedly Corbett Refugee in 2014. After growing this bean out this year it seems to lack the pink coloration for which I gave it, it's individual name. There was "Fantasy" "Fantasy Rose", "Fantasy Blue" and "Fantasy Pinto" This grow out this year seemed to revert back to the black and buff coloration of what I called "Fantasy". The bean also produced the little pinto looking bean that I found in 2014.

Fantasy Rose #1.jpg

#84 - Maybe just "Fantasy"

Fantasy Pinto #1.jpg

Fantasy off type

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"California" A bean I named back around 1980 but did not find growing in my bean patch, but came from a Wanigan grower who mixed a few seeds of it into a Zebra seed sample that he sent to John Withee's Wanigan bean network. John sent me the Zebra seeds with the mix and I picked out the brown seeds and grew them seperately. I gave them the name California then at the end of the season sent John Withee some fresh Zebra seeds and some fresh California seed without telling him I named them. John Withee had so many beans I don't think he remembered the Zebra beans being a mix and took my word for it that the brown beans were indeed "California". They are also under an accession number in the Seed Savers Exchange collection as "California". One of the many crazy things I did when I was young and not as wise as I hope I am today. It is possible that the lighter beans in the photo are an off type. The beans I grew in 2012 are all the same color tone and are all dark chocolate brown.

California.jpg

#85 - California

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Papa de Rolla" The first time I grew the bean it seemed more like a semi runner. So I grew it this year without support. Although it produced a decent amount of seed crop I think the bean would benefit from being grown on some sort of support. Purchased this bean from Annapolis Seeds in Nova Scotia, Canada

Papa De Rolla #1.jpg

#87 - Papa de Rolla

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Choctaw" An original bean named by me in 1980. The bean is a segregation of "Chickasaw" discovered the year before in a true bush bean called "Sulphur" sometimes also know as "China Yellow". "Choctaw" produced a black seeded bean this year, and in fact the largest portion of my seed crop is this black outcross or segregation.

Choctaw #1.jpg

#88 - Choctaw

Choctaw Black #1.jpg

Black outcross from Choctaw

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Holstein" This is another more recent outcross I found in another outcross I named "Purple Trout" in 2014. Holstein has developed fewer but larger spots much like the dairy cow. The color seem also to be true jet black where "Purple Trout" seems not black but dark purple. "Purple Trout" is a true bush with green pods where as "Holstein" is a semi runner with yellow pods.

Holstein #1.jpg

#89 - Holstein

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"WB-PKT #18.2" found in 2016 is a segregation from a packet of outcrossed beans that I got in 2015 from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. I numbered all the seed packets I got from Will from WB-PKT #1 to WB-PKT #52. Then any segregations out of the beans grown in these packets got a one digit higher decimal number. So this bean has no working name yet but I keep track of it as WB-PKT #18.2. This bean also has a true bush counter part that has the same seed coat, size and, shaped seed that I named "Sebastian" in 2015.

WB-PKT 18.2-#1.jpg

#91 - WB-PKT #18.2

Latest posts