2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Herrenbohnli... making out my 2018 list, anyone growing it? Bought this one in 2014, never got around to growing it my plans often go astray these days :(.
This one sounded really interesting. 2 1/2" pods, tender with a very sweet flavor. Your thoughts on it.

like the round shape of those! :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Herrenbohnli... making out my 2018 list, anyone growing it? Bought this one in 2014, never got around to growing it my plans often go astray these days :(.
This one sounded really interesting. 2 1/2" pods, tender with a very sweet flavor. Your thoughts on it.View attachment 24195

Annette
I'm afraid I've been putting it off too; still have seed from the late Richard Schoolmaster. That and a bean with a similar appearance, Pea Bean... which is supposed to be a wax bean. Had to cut back the size of my garden due to persistent flooding on the low end, not sure now if I'll be able to plant either of them. :(

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @aftermidnight,

Oh ! I've listed the bean (Emilia's Italian) in Seed Savers yearbook spelled with the (i) instead of the (e). It will be in their database like that now forever. However whenever someone requests the bean I could spell it like you have it on the packet and could edit the text description in my Seed Savers Exchange listing, and mention something about the spelling.

Seems like a lot of more round seeded beans in Europe. I've looked at kidney shaped beans for eons of time since I first started growing beans, but I think the round shapes are neat.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of more round seeded beans in Europe. I've looked at kidney shaped beans for eons of time since I first started growing beans, but I think the round shapes are neat.

ever since i started growing the black coco and the yellow eye beans i've really liked those shapes too. which has made me really covet the red version:

redballbeans5.jpg

up earlier on that same page they have:

bolitabean.jpg

which looks a lot like the Herrenbohnli.

anytime in my crosses when i see a rounder shape i've been selecting for them in some lines to get them heading that direction. it's fun. :)

destinduck

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@destinduck i'm not sure what you mean by butter beans, but those look interesting. are they a lima bean or field pea/cowpea (aka blackeyed pea varieties) or a regular bean? climbing? bush? in between?
They do look like a lima but he called it butter bean, Maybe this is a southern term. Im not sure. and they do climb (about 6 feet)and get kinda bushy. Im sorry but that was all the info my uncle gave me. they have been growing this variety for over 40 years

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong aren't the smaller seeded Limas called butter beans?

Annette

You have to be careful with some of these "common" names. Where I came from they were interchangeable and the "butter beans" were quite large. That doesn't mean someone else doesn't have a different definition.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong aren't the smaller seeded Limas called butter beans?

Annette

i've always heard it as a general reference to lima beans and not any particular size. i see on my one reference i was using for a while as a list of beans to find that it says that fava beans are also sometimes called butter beans.

language wobbles... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do look like a lima but he called it butter bean, Maybe this is a southern term. Im not sure. and they do climb (about 6 feet)and get kinda bushy. Im sorry but that was all the info my uncle gave me. they have been growing this variety for over 40 years

their growth/habit is quite different if they are a variety like a black-eyed pea. what are the pods like? long and stringy or flat? how many seeds per pod usually? long season needed?

*goes digging*

are these the same beans?

Florida+Speckled+Butter+Beans+11-11-09.jpg

if so, pretty!!! :) and definitely a lima bean...

Latest posts