2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess it depends where you're from, In the UK all Limas are called butter beans and then some people call the baby limas butter beans.

Talking about baby Limas, a few years back several people were on the search for Baby Fordhook Limas, couldn't be found anywhere. Apparently this place has them in stock once again for anyone interested, get them before they're gone.

https://www.everwilde.com/store/Baby-Fordhook-Lima-Bean-Seeds.html

I wish I could grow Limas up here, I've only managed to grow them in the greenhouse:(

Annette

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Talking about baby Limas, a few years back several people were on the search for Baby Fordhook Limas, couldn't be found anywhere. Apparently this place has them in stock once again for anyone interested, get them before they're gone.

https://www.everwilde.com/store/Baby-Fordhook-Lima-Bean-Seeds.html

I wish I could grow Limas up here, I've only managed to grow them in the greenhouse:(

Annette
I think I remember the thread elsewhere, when we were looking for those... thanks, @aftermidnight for the link. I might not grow them this year, but I'll order some anyway to put in cold storage. Interestingly, they describe it as a white lima - but the accompanying photo only shows them green. o_O

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess it depends where you're from, In the UK all Limas are called butter beans and then some people call the baby limas butter beans.

I suppose it is a bit like whatever happens when I try to talk about "peas" and have about half thinking I am talking about English Peas (if they are Northern) about half thinking I am talking about cowpeas (if they are Southern) and a smattering thinking I am talking about pigeon peas (if they are Caribbean)

rdback

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Northern Shenandoah Valley of VA - Zone 6B
Looking for another bean.....Ralph's Italian Heirloom, here's a picture of some older seed.
View attachment 24153
Is anyone still growing this one? Nobody I know has any viable seed. I'm trying to germinate a few I bought from Victory Seeds in 2013, day 3, nothing yet :(.
I believe it may have been traded as just plain "Ralph".

A little History.... "Ralph's Italian Heirloom"
A green snap bean, really good flavour. Originally came from Tom Gallucci (tjg911) in Connecticut. -
OR-100 days, this pole type green bean variety has classically flat podded, Italian-type bean pods. Tender and tasty when young. the vines grow 10 feet or more in height.
This bean is being reintroduced by us (Victory Seeds) as a special project in memory of a bean variety conservationist, horticultural bibliophile, and an early benefactor of ours, the late Mark Futterman. At the onset of his end-of-life failing health, had the foresight to find homes for his life's work.
Mark received this heirloom bean from a seed saver (OK MC G) back in 1987. Rare and in very limited supply for the 2013 season. When we run out, ad yourself to the waiting list and we will notify you next year as soon as the harvest is complete. Each packet contains one ounce, which is approximately 50 seeds.
Another bean variety about to hit the dust :(.

Victory Seeds is NOT listing it at this time.

Annette

Hi Annette. The name sounded familiar so I checked and, according to my inventory listing, I too have a package of seed from Victory dated 2013. Never planted them. Since it sounds like they're fading, maybe I'll try to grow them out this year.

Reading the history, it looks like Mark got them from George. I've grown a few beans from George, but not this one. Perhaps he still grows it and/or has seeds to offer? Dunno.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@rdback George hasn't been able to germinate the ones he has either. I'm on my second germination test, first time was a bust and I'm not holding out much hope for these ones either. 3 days into the damp paper towel method and no signs of life yet. What I have noticed which is different from any other beans I've germinated this way is the seed has a slight vinegary smell to them, never have I smelt this before on any beans I've germinated, I rinse them each day in sterile water and put between clean damp paper towel and enclose them in a partially closed zip lock. I have about 25 more beans I can try, hoping for at least 2 or 3. If I luck out I will pot up and try keep alive until I can get them out in the greenhouse. You should try to germinate a few of what you have, see if you have any luck.
I'm beginning to wonder how old the seed was in the pkt. I bought in 2013. This picture was taken the day I received them and they've been kept cool and dry since then, my records show I also put a sample from this pkg in the freezer, I could be mistaken but they looks kind of dark for fresh seed.
DSCN4934.JPG

Ralph's Italian Heirloom

I've had success with 15 year old bean seed that was kept in a sealed glass container on a kitchen counter as a decoration, they went through some real temperature changes, like 90º down to 65º. They germinated and produced a good crop. I harvested fresh seed from these but I couldn't get any of the old seed to germinate the next year, I guess once the container was opened that was the end of them.
Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I remember the thread elsewhere, when we were looking for those... thanks, @aftermidnight for the link. I might not grow them this year, but I'll order some anyway to put in cold storage. Interestingly, they describe it as a white lima - but the accompanying photo only shows them green. o_O

they are green when shelled fresh (shellies?) before they have dried, before the pod starts turning yellow, very very good eating that ways, much bigger too. :) we just steam them for a while and then eat them up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@rdback George hasn't been able to germinate the ones he has either. I'm on my second germination test, first time was a bust and I'm not holding out much hope for these ones either. 3 days into the damp paper towel method and no signs of life yet...

i hope they grow, they're another nice looking bean. :) *sigh*

if they don't actually rot i'd give them all the time they want...

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@flowerbug ,I will give them all the time they want, that is until they show signs of rotting. I germinated some 10 year old bean seed from a farmer's market high up in the Andes in Ecuador, some of them took 10 days, patience I have :).

Annette

Latest posts