2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello Everyone !

Our bean network begins again today. We are into our 5th year.

For those who want to join us for the very first time. You can go to my website http://www.abeancollectorswindow.com and click on the yellow link near the top of the page marked "Network". The text there will explain how our network operates. If you have any questions you can always email me at upadam@comcast.net

I have no special projects for this year. The beans that need renewing the most are the ones in which the year of grow out is unknown or the growth habit is not known. After that it would be the beans that have the oldest year grown marked under their name. This is only my sugggestion and the individual grower still makes the choice of what they desire to grow.

Growers participating in this network in 2016 grew out a bunch of outcrossed beans I had received from former SSE member Will Bonsall. The growers had the great fun of naming the beans they requested to grow plus any new segregations that those beans produced. Those growers now forever have a personal connection to their named beans.

The resulting photos of those grow outs are can be found in a separate section on the Network page 5 under the Will Bonsall Collection. Those beans are also available for further grow outs.

I’m a little late getting started this year, but Yay we are rolling now ! It’s going to be another fun bean growing year.

Russ Crow

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought it was about time. Good to see you are back. Hopefully you had a good vacation.

I'm not going to get any beans from you this year though I feel I'm still part of the network. I'll be growing some of the outcrosses from that Will Bonsall Collection from last year. I'll post details later but first wanted to welcome you back.

Have you heard from @marshallsmyth ? It's been quite a while since I've seen him on here. He is missed.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome back Russ, Just wanted to let you know all your help in finding "Bob and Mary" paid off:celebrate, thanks to your contact in the UK I now have a few. A big THANK YOU to all the seed savers around the world :bow.
They were only in the mail 4 months less 4 days but they finally made it. The seed was a few years old so hopefully I can get them to germinate. This is a pole bean grown in British Columbia at the beginning of the 20th century, made it's way to the UK but no longer grown here possibly it has a Ukrainian connection. Another very endangered bean I can hopefully get back in circulation. It's said to be prolific and tasty:drool.
I also have a lead on the other pole bean I was looking for "Sarah's Old Fashioned Black" if all goes well I'll get a few of these in the fall, grown on Vancouver Island in the past but originally from around the Seattle area.
Not putting as much in the garden this year as I usually do, nerve damage from the chemo I had in 2013 has just decided to a number on me, but it's not not going to stop me from growing my beans, no siree:tongue.

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Annette,

Wow those beans sure had a slow ride. Glad they finally arrived. If I had requested something and it took that long I would have considered them long gone and lost. Glad you are still able to do some gardening anyway.

Russ

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Ridge !

Thanks I had a great winter visiting with my friend in Kissimmee. He works for Disney and gets me in the parks for free. I have not heard from Marshall. Yes I do miss him here on the Easygarden. I don't know what he's up too. Hope he will be back in action one day.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Russ! I already planted the beans you sent me. I planted the Faglio Cannelino Dente di Molto beans on April 1 and they are already up! I planted the Anderson's Purple King and the Buona Della Montagna beans on April 6. They should be breaking ground any day now. We got a good soaking 1 1/4" rain last night and today, so that will help the whole garden!

I have the garden mulched with 5 year old wood chips. The mulch is black and crumbly......the good stuff! I think this will be the best garden since we moved.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Bay,

Oh Wow that is great news on those three beans. I had no information when they were last grown. I had suspected that they would still germinate, but you just never know for sure until you try them.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Murphysranch !

I bet you miss growing gardens. Will you be able to next year? Will you have more room and good sun exposure? Hope your move works out well for you.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll miss growing any yet again this year. We're between homes and have no garden.
And even when you find the home you want, unless it comes with an already tilled up garden spot, it will take time to build your garden. I hope you find just what you want soon!

Latest posts