2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Kiki

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:frow hi all.
Newbie to both the site and pretty much growing food in general.
I have some Kentucky wonder, red kidney and some type of white bean planted (a unnamed gift).

I got them all sprouted on my kitchen cabinet and then planted outside.
They are all about 6 inches tall now.
Can't wait to see how they do.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Kiki welcome to the wonderful world of beans! I had no idea how many different types of beans there are until I joined TEG. Now I grow for Bluejay77 every season to help keep old varieties alive. I hope your beans grow well for you and you get lots of beans!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Kiki :frow

Nice to have you come on the the website and this thread. Let us know how your beans progress through the season. Maybe you would like to put up some photos of your beans. Are you saving seed of your beans?

Wait until our seed crops start to be harvested. You will see some beautiful seeds shown on this thread. You'll love it.

Bluejay77

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bean Mail From Stephen McComber a native American bean friend. ( Top Left ) is a pole variety "Cornplanters". ( Top Right ) is a bush wax I was beginning to think might be extinct called "Hodson Wax" First offered to the public by the Harvey Seed Company of Buffalo, New York in 1902. Listed by the Henderson Seed Company in 1906, and by 1921 was being sold by over 100 seed companies. ( Bottom Left ) Is a native pole variety "Mother Earth" ( Bottom RIght ) is another native pole variety called "Seneca Pole" Will try to get most of these grown out this summer.

View attachment 19372 View attachment 19373

View attachment 19374 View attachment 19375
Hi Russ! Welcome back! I know I'm a little late. I will also be growing Mother Earth and Seneca Pole bean from Stephen. He is a great guy!

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This will be my second year participating. I really enjoyed being a part of the grow out last year with Will's beans. I will only be able to help out with 2-3 varieties this year. I already committed to growing out some of the rare Lobitz varieties for Stephen Smith at SOPI. I will probably grow out Bubblegum and Blue Heron from Will's growout last year. I also have a Maggie's Crescent outcross and Ugandan Bantu outcross I found last I want to grow out. Happy gardening!!!!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to see you back Tricia. If I remember right, Russ said he's growing out your Bubblegum and my Karachaganak this year. It will be interesting how his results compare to ours.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We're getting some mechanical work done now on our vehicles and have some work to do on the house but I am really hoping to finish the garden fence and get everything planted by next week. Expecting family this weekend so we'll see.

@Kiki what part of the world are you from. We always start out plants by seed in the garden but I do like to soak and maybe sprout mine a little. I once planted Kentucky Wonders in mid-July and had green beans by August. I mulched heavily and only watered a couple of times. We also always pick late in the afternoon while the plants are bone-dry to keep from getting disease. Oh and up a fence where they grow quiet tall.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Tricia77, Glad to see you here again. What did Stephen give you of Robert Lobitz to grow. I'm curious. I think Stephen feels that same as I do about keeping Roberts beans alive. In about a week or so I'm going to post about three or four of Robert's beans I didn't have I found being grown by an Australian seed company called Inspirations Gardens. They have a website. They don't list the beans as being from Robert Lobitz but I recognized them by the names.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Lobitz varieties I am growing for Stephen are...
Zumbro Falls
Mazeppa
Keewatin
Canoe
Arnold Snap
Plus some unnamed varieties.

From my own stock I am growing...
Princess Rose
Prince Purple
King's Knight

Kiki

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We're getting some mechanical work done now on our vehicles and have some work to do on the house but I am really hoping to finish the garden fence and get everything planted by next week. Expecting family this weekend so we'll see.

@Kiki what part of the world are you from. We always start out plants by seed in the garden but I do like to soak and maybe sprout mine a little. I once planted Kentucky Wonders in mid-July and had green beans by August. I mulched heavily and only watered a couple of times. We also always pick late in the afternoon while the plants are bone-dry to keep from getting disease. Oh and up a fence where they grow quiet tall.
good tips..thanks.
Hot Houston Texas.

Latest posts