2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
In general the immature "green" (or in this case purple) pods are OK to eat. Just don't eat any pods that are getting too old (my rule of thumb, eat them before the seed becomes obvious)

There ARE types where the mature seed is OK to eat too, but those tend to be WHITE seeded types (if you ever go to an Indian grocery store you can see bags of white ones for sale) All of the others need leaching to get the toxin out.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of all the network beans that have come back so far. I think the most interesting one is the Munachedda Pale off type seed sent to me by a grower in Maine. I thought I would share this with everyone here. The first photo is new Munachedda Pale seed from that grower. The second photo is the off type. The pattern, seed shape, and size is the same. The colored area looks a bit more tan the MP's almost light yellow. I think I've seen a bean like the off type somewhere but I can't place it. It sort of looks like a half white "Goats Eye". If someone wants to grow out the MP off type they can. I probably won't be able to get to it until 2019. Who knows what else it will kick out. The endless saga of outcrosses continues.

IMG_0011[1].JPG

IMG_0012[1].JPG

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi @Tricia77,

You didn't include a sample of your 2018 Bubblegum that will grow pink pods. Did you actually get some pink pods out of Bubblegum this summer?
I still need to send the Bubblegum seeds to you. I did find the pink bean again this year. I posted pictures of the beans further back.

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hyacinth beans remind me of Whoopie pies. I still have plenty of beans for trading left if anyone is interested in doing a trade! I also have plenty of my Bubblegum beans if anyone would like to try them. I wish you all Happy Holidays and have fun planning your gardens for next year :)

Do you have a list of the beans you have available to swap? I can message you my list.
You had a bunch of gorgeous varieties you were growing this year... and really, can someone ever have too many beans? :lol:

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Bluejay77- Are the regular Munachedda Pale beans you sent out likely to produce the off type? They are interesting. They slightly resemble your Fagiolo del Anglela. They would be fun to shell!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haven't posted much here, but this thread is probably my "most lurked" :caf

All the cleaning & sorting is done, and my humidity finally dropped to the point where the beans can be put into storage. Not that many varieties, I'm a piker compared to some in that regard... but what I do grow, I try to grow in quantity.

Common beans:
  • Atlas (bush snap) - 13 ounces
  • Bird Egg #3 (pole snap/shelly) - 7#
  • Cranberry, True Red (pole dry) - 2#
  • Clem & Sarah's Big Bean (bush dry) - 1# 5 ounces
  • Dolloff (pole dry) - 4# (this had the only cross all season, a striped variant)
  • King Horticultural (pole shelly/dry) - 8#
  • Maradan Hill (pole wax) - 3# 8 ounces
  • Tarbais (pole dry) - 5# 4 ounces
  • Uzice (bush shelly/dry) - 18 ounces
  • Uzice Speckled Wax (pole wax) - 2#
  • Woods Mountain Crazy Bean (bush snap) - 1# 6 ounces
Limas:
  • Berrier's #2 (pole, red-seeded) - 10# 9 ounces
  • Sieva (pole, white-seeded) - 3# 4 ounces (was planted a month late, only got dry seed due to a very late frost... buckets of baby limas though)
Runners:
  • Sunset (pink flowers / purple seeds) - 1# 11 ounces
  • Tarahumara Tekomari (red flowers / gray seeds) - 10 ounces (also planted late & matured only due to late frost, this was a large-seeded, all-gray segregation from the original multi-colored land race, and appears likely to be stable)
In total, just over 61# of dry beans, and A LOT of frozen shellies. My main snap planting, though (Fortex) was a complete failure, having been drowned out. :( Except for Bird Egg #3 (which was 50' of row direct seeded) and King Horticultural (32 plants), all common beans started out as 16 transplants. Tarbais was the only trial; late DTM, but I was highly impressed by the yield, and the seed quality was nearly flawless.

There were also 10 different soybeans, totaling 11# 11 ounces of dry seed... which is about 1/3 of a normal year. Peas & cowpeas were a nearly total failure, only one of each succeeded, where there would normally have been 5-7 of each. With one exception, cowpeas & yardlongs acted oddly this year; one produced only empty pods, and two produced seed smaller & duller in color than normal. The cool summer was probably to blame; we never hit 90, and the only cowpea to do well (Washday Pea) was the beneficiary of reflected heat, on the south side of my garage.

I wish I could post photos, still haven't adjusted to the loss of Photobucket.

Beanfan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Zeedman, I am new on this forum, I know you from the Gardenweb legume forum where I am Hemnancy from my daylily days. I had some trouble at first with photos here, but after a few tries when things didn't seem to work, just clicking on Upload a File like now took me to my Pictures and I just clicked on a photo and had it paste just fine, like now- mixed shellies, the black with white was an outcross from a black pole bean. Your Bird Egg #3 and King Horticultural yields are impressive. My best yields are from runner beans, and Jembo Polish, the big striped bean, does well too, but I ate most as snaps. I would enjoy hearing about more high yielding dry beans.

Attachments

• Shell 16 LEB.jpg
    Shell 16 LEB.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 183

Latest posts