2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The rain is flowing and The wind is a blowing. I'm waiting for the cat in the hat to show up. What y'all doing?

today is the first day in a while that the sun has come out, and that was just a few minutes ago. it's strange to see blue sky...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had over 7 inches of rain this month in Woodstock, Il. Much more and this will be the wettest May since they've kept weather records here. Still too cold to think about planting here. Soil in all my bean patches are mud right now. Supposed to be 90 friday. Will see if that dries things out for a while.

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
I have bush and pole beans up 6 - 8 inches, the poles are getting ready to start climbing. All my network beans are up now. I wasn't paying good attention when I reported about the bird damage, those were my bonus beans not grow out beans so not as alarming but in any event they didn't get them all and they are safe now.

On the grow-outs looks like high germ on Mrs. Maud's Lima and the Small Speckled Bunch common beans. I was most concerned with the Dr. Martin's Lima cause just four seeds but three of them are up. Five of six of Madagascar are also up so I'm pretty pleased.

Dr. Martin's and Madagascar are at opposite ends of a long row of common beans so crossing shouldn't be too much of an issue. Mr's Maud's are on south side in the other garden with my other Limas on the north. Lots of other beans and corn in between.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had over 7 inches of rain this month in Woodstock, Il. Much more and this will be the wettest May since they've kept weather records here. Still too cold to think about planting here. Soil in all my bean patches are mud right now. Supposed to be 90 friday. Will see if that dries things out for a while.

not quite that much rain here. more in the forecast for the weekend. it is a busy week with other things and holiday, but should have greenhouse plants ready to go and at least the fence growing beans planted by June 1st if there are no more late frosts. always have to keep an eye on the forecast...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@reedy, Sounds wonderful what's happening to the network beans with you. I hope you get a good grow out of your bonus beans. It's depressing when animals eat your beans. I was wondering about the Dr. Martin. I think one of the seeds had a crack in it so not sure that one will grow. I gave you all the Dr. Martin limas I had. That was the entire extent of the sample I had from someone.

Curious to see how the Paula beans do. That was a Robert Lobitz original snap bean. He was a member of Seed Savers Exchange. He passed away in 2006 at age 66. He released all his original beans through the SSE yearbook.

The Paula seed I got from another member of SSE. I don't see that anyone else has this bean anymore. I checked with places that I knew had a bunch of Roberts beans but nobody lists Paula anymore.

It's probably too early but ladyObug has some of the Paula seed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see when they get planted if they will even germinate. The fellow I got them from he marked the seed packet of Paula as 2008. Ten years is a long time to keep beans around without growing them. They looked dark also. So anyway hope they grow.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Forecast for the next few day is Hot & hotter. Suppose to be 98 by next Thursday

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chestnut Flavored Beans. I picked them up out of the dirt. I'm trying to save them. Don't laugh at my trellis.

IMG_5032.jpg

Latest posts