2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started half of the Paula beans and am happy to report that 6/7 germinated and are up. Still have 7 more Paula seeds that I will start later. Perhaps I'll put the next batch in the greenhouse to protect them more, since this variety is rare. I have never grown beans in the greenhouse before usually just tomatoes and peppers during the summer, but I could make some room this year. Note we do put a shade cloth on it. Thoughts? Weather has been warm and dry here, we could use the rain... looks like it will be in the 90s for the next few days.

Had good germination rates on the other beans too, but still waiting for Comtesse de Chomboro to pop, any one else growing this one out?

Hi @ladyObug,

Great news on the Paula. That is fantastic. I have about 3 Paula seeds left here and will try to grow them in a flower pot in the back yard. Good new on all your other beans hope the Comtesse de Chamboro will emerge for you.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 here's a picture of the red veining in Sarah's leaves next to Cherokee Trail of Tears on the right, sitting on the kitchen windowsill. Her leaves are a little smaller. Waiting to see high high they climb and what the flowers and pods look like.
View attachment 26277

I just went back through some of my photos and had a look at Sicitalian Black Swamp, they seam to have red veining too, I just never noticed it before.

Annette

Nice picture. I think I vaguely remember seeing red veining is some beans but don't remember which ones they were.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.smallhousefarm.com/seeds/

more pretty beans! :) (source of my abovementioned KSM)

@Bluejay77 they have a Grape bean seed that looks similar to Red Bollito. currently out of stock, but i hope they get some back in eventually. as i don't know where your RBs came from...

@flowerbug,

I also have the Grape bean, and I think Small House Farm's source for this bean is the same as mine. A lady in Rhodes, Michigan by the name of Debbie Groat, who makes jewlery out of beans sent them to me and I think this is where Ben Cohen of Small House got them too.

I met Ben at the Appalachian Seed Swap in Pikeville, Kentucky in 2016 and again this year. First Saturday in April each year.

My Red Bollitio source seems to be out of cirulation anymore. So just hoping the one I sent out might grow. RB is about 3 times the size as the Grape bean.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's really warmed up here in the last couple of days. I think this is probably the start of the planting season. My brother from Canton, Illinois is here visiting and he goes home tomorrow, Saturday. I will be out with my roto tiller trying to see if I can get some soil prepared for planting. Pole beans go in first over at the former Hardwood nursery a quarter of a mile from here. I put up the photos last year and showed a succession of the season of growth on those photos.

Also got tomato plants I've had growing under grow lights need to get them outside a little every day to start hardening them off to the sun.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I also have the Grape bean, and I think Small House Farm's source for this bean is the same as mine. A lady in Rhodes, Michigan by the name of Debbie Groat, who makes jewlery out of beans sent them to me and I think this is where Ben Cohen of Small House got them too.

I met Ben at the Appalachian Seed Swap in Pikeville, Kentucky in 2016 and again this year. First Saturday in April each year.

My Red Bollitio source seems to be out of cirulation anymore. So just hoping the one I sent out might grow. RB is about 3 times the size as the Grape bean.

ok, tks, will find out... i hope...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's really warmed up here in the last couple of days. I think this is probably the start of the planting season. My brother from Canton, Illinois is here visiting and he goes home tomorrow, Saturday. I will be out with my roto tiller trying to see if I can get some soil prepared for planting. Pole beans go in first over at the former Hardwood nursery a quarter of a mile from here. I put up the photos last year and showed a succession of the season of growth on those photos.

Also got tomato plants I've had growing under grow lights need to get them outside a little every day to start hardening them off to the sun.

was told yesterday we are starting planting tomorrow. yes, nice and warm and sunshine. good to feel warm again. :) happy gardening!

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My Oaxacan Cream are growing up, up, and away. They've
IMG_5044.jpg
already hit the top of my 8' wall. I guess I'd better figure out the next move.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Update: 9 or 10 of the Gold of Bacau plants are up and making tall vines, Tennessee Green Pod is doing very well and may be semi-vining, Paula and White turtle are also looking healthy. Only Tenn Green pod seems to have all sprouted, but germination was excellent overall.

Of my own beans, all but two of them are doing nicely, and many need to be thinned. I'd say that Piet Special is doing very badly. In fact the seed may be entirely dead. I've planted it twice and have all of one plant that may not even be Piet. King of the Garden Lima needs to be replanted to fill in the long gaps.

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy overall with the germination of my network beans. For older beans, I think these are pretty good numbers. Now, if I can only keep them from the rabbits until they get established is a whole other tale...

Grandma Rivera's Pole Lima - 6/8
Gabarone Sugar - 7/8
Pink Tip - 8/8
Kutasi Princess - 7/8

The Pink Tip more erupted than sprouted, they are about 20% bigger than the other plants but overall things are looking pretty good after a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 175

Latest posts