2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Lady0bug

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I started half of the Paula beans and am happy to report that 6/7 germinated and are up. Still have 7 more Paula seeds that I will start later. Perhaps I'll put the next batch in the greenhouse to protect them more, since this variety is rare. I have never grown beans in the greenhouse before usually just tomatoes and peppers during the summer, but I could make some room this year. Note we do put a shade cloth on it. Thoughts? Weather has been warm and dry here, we could use the rain... looks like it will be in the 90s for the next few days.

Had good germination rates on the other beans too, but still waiting for Comtesse de Chomboro to pop, any one else growing this one out?

The Paula seed I got from another member of SSE. I don't see that anyone else has this bean anymore. I checked with places that I knew had a bunch of Roberts beans but nobody lists Paula anymore.

It's probably too early but ladyObug has some of the Paula seed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see when they get planted if they will even germinate. The fellow I got them from he marked the seed packet of Paula as 2008. Ten years is a long time to keep beans around without growing them. They looked dark also. So anyway hope they grow.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the guy at greenhouse today gave me some potted Kermit's Smokey Mountain beans. they look a lot like my tan goats eye beans so will be interesting to see if they are the same size or not. if they are the same sized bean then the only difference i would be able to tell them apart would be that the KSM's are climbers (they're already a foot and a half tall) while my tan goats eye beans are more bush in habit.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chestnut Flavored Beans. I picked them up out of the dirt. I'm trying to save them. Don't laugh at my trellis.

IMG_5032.jpg

those are some funny looking splints, but if they work i won't say a thing! :) i hope the patients pull through...

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was wondering about the Dr. Martin. I think one of the seeds had a crack in it so not sure that one will grow. I gave you all the Dr. Martin limas I had. That was the entire extent of the sample I had from someone.

@Bluejay77, I had a nice crop of Dr. Martin in 2016 and would be glad to send you some if you PM your address.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight, Yes I've seen reddish veining in some beans. Can't remember which ones. I don't think there are a huge number of varieties that have red veining. It's does exist though. Will have to stark keeping notes on varieties everytime I run into red veining in them.

I really love the veining in purple podded beans. It's really strinking against the green leaves.

@Bluejay77 here's a picture of the red veining in Sarah's leaves next to Cherokee Trail of Tears on the right, sitting on the kitchen windowsill. Her leaves are a little smaller. Waiting to see high high they climb and what the flowers and pods look like.
DSCN7324.JPG

I just went back through some of my photos and had a look at Sicitalian Black Swamp, they seam to have red veining too, I just never noticed it before.

Annette

Last edited:

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
@Bluejay77, I had a nice crop of Dr. Martin in 2016 and would be glad to send you some if you PM your address.

How did the Dr. Martin's produce? They look just like King of the Garden which we love but which does not produce well here. I'm in hopes Dr. Martin is more productive but similar flavor and cooking characteristics.

Also glad to hear the three plants I have are not the last of their kind.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi @reedy . They did well for me but really only filled out late in the season. It's that way with limas in my garden; in some years they bear well, in others the season ends early with a frost. This variety originated in Westtown PA not far from me; I spent several years tracking down a source and "bringing them home". :)

Latest posts