2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i started checking today to see what edible beans might be coming ready to pick and what could be sampled. i was curious why so many plants seem to be slow in growing. a lot of them were knocked over at some point (heavy storms/rains/winds) and again i had to herd some of the climbers towards their poles/strings/fence. at least some have made it to the fence and are climbing up at last. a lot more are just sitting there not even climbing. i guess they didn't like their poles.

i took some notes on flower color for those flowering already and growth habit if i could tell what bean it was (in several cases i am not sure until i see pods with dry enough seeds in them to establish which variety it was).

the many patches of Purple Dove that i planted are flowering and looking very pretty with their red stems and darker purple flowers. i only found one JB so far on the beans and not on PD. as a lot of the other beans are looking to be a bit scant i'm really hoping these work out as a fresh eating bean. these are all upright and did not get knocked over.

the Lemon Slice are either semi-runner or pole beans and since i don't have them on a fence they're going to wander around a bit. i planted a lot of these too hoping i get enough seeds of the right seed coat to continue working on stablizing *crossing fingers* looks good so far. tons of flowers.

my small early yellow eye/molasses face selections seem to be doing what i want too. this is nice, i wanted an earlier bush plant and think i have something like that now i just want to see if the seed size is a bit smaller or not. tons of flowers now.

since most of what i planted this year was bush beans or mystery beans that i didn't know for sure when they would flower it was good to see that most of them are flowering now and some have well developed pods already so i should have some seeds from these no matter what the heat/weather is like. we did have enough cooler evenings and some days that they should be ok. as usual, i have no idea what the harvest is like until i start getting mature or dry enough pod stage to see what the seeds are like.

i'm not sure i got any of the Flossie Powell lima beans to take. i think i may have one plant, but not certain until seeds ripen.

the red lima pole beans are doing well. the Fordhook bush lima beans are just starting to flower.

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful... can't wait to see the beans
IMG_20190726_175417500.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
i took some notes on flower color for those flowering already and growth habit if i could tell what bean it was (in several cases i am not sure until i see pods with dry enough seeds in them to establish which variety it was).

You should make a diagram of your garden so you know exactly what is what while it's growing. It's a nice thing to know and to be able to make positive observations during the entire growth period of your varieties. Just a suggestion.

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Some of my plants haven't started flowering yet and I'm getting worried

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should make a diagram of your garden so you know exactly what is what while it's growing. It's a nice thing to know and to be able to make positive observations during the entire growth period of your varieties. Just a suggestion.

i do. :) for inside the fence i counted each seed planted and which row it went into and drew a map for each garden. unfortunately it is not just me in the gardens and markers have turned out to be impractical (if she can't see them then they get knocked over, lost or moved). i get around this by usually planting rows with enough distinction that when harvested i can keep things clearly separated and the gremlin in chief does not mess with the bags, tags and box tops so they remain useful and accurate. i have to also accept my own limitations and i'm ok with it being uncertain at times.

believe me it would be much easier if it were only me here and then markers would work. i'd also have a lot more space.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of my plants haven't started flowering yet and I'm getting worried

i have a few that are later. our first chances of frost are 6-8weeks away yet so there is plenty of time yet, but some beans are later and perhaps not suited for your climate/area. that is just how it goes sometimes. if you are lucky you can get your later beans to cross breed with an earlier bean if they overlap just a bit enough for a bee to be around and moving pollen for you.

i am always trying to develop smaller and earlier beans because we do have a short enough season and i also like that with some of the shorter season beans you can then plant them later in succession and still get viable seeds from them (the small red beans i normally grow can be planted like this).

right now i'm seeing how some later planted lima beans will do too. i've not tried this before so it will be interesting. :)

Latest posts