2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #6

Cyrus Grays - Bush - Dry.

An original bean of Robert Lobitz. He introduced this bean through the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook in 2004. Named after Cyrus, Minnesota and the color gray. Productive bean I harvested 13 ounces of seed (368 grams) from 10 plants.

Cyrus Grays #1.jpg.JPG

Cyrus Grays - Bush, Dry

Last edited:

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful. Piekny Jas looks like a high-quality shelly bean, all the photos I've seen show smooth, fat seed with little deformity. There were a couple good threads about them on the Gardenweb bean forum. @aftermidnight obtained seed last year, and sent me a few... I hope to grow them next year for a seed increase.

There are three regional Piękny Jaś cultivars with a registered designation of origin.
- Piękny Jaś z Doliny Dunajca (... from Dunajec River Valley), pole bean
- Piękny Jaś Wrzawski (... from Wrzawy), pole bean
- Piękny Jaś Korczyński (...from Nowy Korczyn), bush bean with runners

Piękny Jaś.jpg

There are also several commercial varieties of the Piękny Jaś type, such as Kontra, Eureka, Karo, Felicja, Riposta and others.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #7

Dapple Grey - Bush - Dry.

I think it was about two years ago. I hauled a plastic container of outcrossed seed to the Applachian Seed Swap and let a bunch of people attending the swap pick out whatever they wanted. They could grow them and name what ever came out of those beans. They were all pole beans that I had throw into the container after the fall shelling of 2016 and I really wasn't interested in growing any of them. Well saw one that looked like Dapple Grey and don't remember growing that bean that summer of '16. So I thought Wow would be neat to have a pole bean that looks like that. Well I planted it among all the pole beans this summer and 8 plants, planted around two poles never climbined on anything. They were true bush and produced the Dapple Grey seed coat. Even the pods were the Dapple Grey pods. Somehow I must have thrown a few of those bush seeds in that container. There weren't very many of them at all, but just enough of them to fool me. Ha Ha ! Harvest almost 5 ounces (133 grams).

Dapple Grey.JPG

Dapple Grey - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Deb's Creek - Pole - Dry.

This is an Australian variety. I obtianed it through a lady in Liebenfels, Austria that I trade beans with from time to time. It too didn't grow all that great either. Harvested 6.45 ounces (182 grams).

Deb's Creek.JPG

Deb's Creek - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Dlouha Pulena Ze Smolijanu - Pole - Dry.

This bean did pretty well this summer. Got it in a trade with a fellow from Drevhostic, Czech Republic back in the spring in early May. I wanteed to grow at least one of his beans this year. So I picked this one. It did produce some shriveled seed. Total harvest from about 6 plants 24.50 ounces (694 grams).

Dlouha Pulena Ze Smolijanu.JPG

Dlouha Pulena Ze Smolijanu - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Draper's Glen - Semi Runner - Dry.

This is a outcross from Marico. Two off types popped up from Marico this year. I decided to name this interesting looking bean after something here in the county where I live. Future grow outs will tell if it's going to be stable. I didn't weigh the seeds of the bean because their weight was lumped into the total harvest of the Marico beans along with it's other outcross. This bean didn't produce very many small seed. None that were shriveled or with seed coats split. The beans were also very uniform in size. I would like to see that characteristic be repeated. Also very productive.

Draper's Glen.JPG

Draper's Glen - Semi Runner, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Drayer Creek - Bush - Dry.

This is another one of the Robert Lobitz legacy beans that I have named for a creek in Stearns county Minnesota where Robert lived. I grew it for the first time two years ago. It grew the same last year and again this year. Same plants and pods, and same shaped seed of the same size. Total harvest was 6.45 ounces (182 grams) Not a lot of beans for 15 planted. The weather turned very wet and I just left the rest of the crop go. I felt last year that this bean is already very likely stable.

Drayer Creek.JPG

Drayer Creek - Bush, Dry

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 was sorting and boxing up beans to send back to you today. 3 of them did not have a full consignment of decent looking seeds so i've sent what i can, but the worst was the Hidatsa Sheild Figure bean. do you want me to hang on to those and try again next year?

do you need any Victoria Brown Eyes, Purple Dove or Conserva?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 was sorting and boxing up beans to send back to you today. 3 of them did not have a full consignment of decent looking seeds so i've sent what i can, but the worst was the Hidatsa Sheild Figure bean. do you want me to hang on to those and try again next year?

do you need any Victoria Brown Eyes, Purple Dove or Conserva?

Hi @flowerbug,

You can hang on to the Hidatsa Shield Feild Figure and grow it out again. I don't need any of the Victoria Brown Eyes, Purple Dove, Or Conserva. The 3 beans that you can't fill the full consigment of, just do what you can. Thank you so much for being a part of LEBN. Every single person helps make this what it is. I'm sure we are bound to have a better growing season soon.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @flowerbug,

You can hang on to the Hidatsa Shield Feild Figure and grow it out again. I don't need any of the Victoria Brown Eyes, Purple Dove, Or Conserva. The 3 beans that you can't fill the full consigment of, just do what you can. Thank you so much for being a part of LEBN. Every single person helps make this what it is. I'm sure we are bound to have a better growing season soon.

oops, i also forgot to ask about Anasazi? do you need any of those?

ok, thanks! will get these sent out in the next week or so.