2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #17

Missouri Bill's - Semi Runner, Dry

I bought this bean from the Ozark Seed Bank in 2011. Productive cranberry type produces good sized beans. It did produce one off type seed this season in the second photo. A shorter smaller seed than Missouri Bill's. Total Seed Harvest: 16.85 ounces (477 grams)

Missouri Bill's #1.JPG

Missouri Bill's - Semi Runner, Dry

Missouri Bill's OT #1.JPG

Missouri Bill's 2019 Off Type

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Molly's Zebra - Pole, Snap

Usually a very productive bean but struggled under this summers conditions. Named after Bill Mollison an Australian researcher who has taught hundreds of thousands of people throughout the world how to grow food and be sustainable using permaculture design principles. I obtained the bean in 2013 from an Australian fellow who lives part time in Hercules, South Africa. Total Seed Harvest: 3.60 ounces (102 grams).

Molley's Zebra.JPG

Molley's Zebra - Pole, Snap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Mona Lisa - Pole, Dry

Normally a fairly productive bean. This one too was stunted all summer and didn't produce it's usual quantity of beans. I got this one from bean trading friend Harriet Mella in Liebenfels, Austra. Total Seed Harvest: 3.60 ounces (102 grams).

Mona Lisa.JPG

Mona Lisa - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #18

Mrociumere Off Type - Bush, Dry

I found this sort of gold colored bean among Mrociumere about two years ago, but didn't try growing it until this year. Interesting looking bean. I produces a longer and rounded bean of the same color and produced a rounded seed of a different color which is hard to describe. Also got a solid gold colored bean from it too. I will grow out this bean more. I didn't have many plants of this bean growing maybe 4 or 5 plants. It seems really very productive. Total Seed Harvest 7.85 ounces (222 grams)

Mrociumere Gold.JPG

Mrociumere Kidney Lavender.jpg

Mrociumere Lilac.JPG

Mrociumere Kideny Gold.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

North Louisiana Snow On The Mountain - Pole, Lima

I planted all my pole beans about two weeks later than I usually do. This bean would have done very well with another two weeks to mature. A few pods were dry and many of the other pods were beginning to dry when I finally decided I had to harvest most of what I could get from it nearly green and let them dry in the house on cardboard sheets for about a month. I got the bean from Kurt Bridges in Washington Louisiana in 2017 and grew it for the first time this year. Kurt has a big Lima collection and has 5 freezers full of seed. After I dried what I harvested from this bean I weighed the beans and found that I got 15.85 ounces (449 grams).

N Louusiana Snow On The Mountain.JPG

North Louisiana Snow On The Mountain - Pole, Lima

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

New Mexico Red Appaloosa - Pole, Dry

I acquired this bean from a SSE member in 2012 and she had bought it from Purcell Mountain. Looks like it could be the same bean as Anasazi. The bean didn't produce well this year but it usually does. However what seed I did get was nice looking seed. Total Seed Harvest: 3.15 ounces (89 grams)

New Mexico Red Appaloosa.JPG

New Mexico Red Appaloosa - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Nippersink - Bush, Dry

An outcross I discovered 5 years ago among a semi runner called Molasses Face. I started calling it Nippersink. I had one stunted plant survive this year and harvested a scant .55 of an ounce (15 grams)

Nippersink.JPG

Nippersink - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

North Town Pinto - Bush, Dry

A Robert Lobitz original bean named by him. It is not known at this time if he introduced this bean through the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook or not. Acquired seed of this bean from a Jefferson, Maine resident in late 2018 who had acquired the seed collection of a former SSE member who went by the name of Sam Birch. Sam had passed away and his last grown seed was 2013.

North Town Pinto.JPG

North Town Pinto - Bush, Dry

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finally caught up with the end of the thread! *whew*
If there's something I haven't been behind on this year, I don't know what it is.

I grew out six LEBN varieties this year, with mixed results. Which was pretty disappointing after last year's resounding successes, but... I guess that's a good gardening lesson to learn.

Galloway (Pole): Was my first dry pole bean seed (found the last week of August; which would have been about 14 weeks). And the first set of pods was gorgeous. And then it hit semi-runner height, and just completely gave up.

Frost (Pole): Also grew to only semi-runner height (which apparently was also a problem someone else was having this year?). Almost all of the seed I got was pretty shrunken and absolutely not pretty. Did not even nearly hit my LEBN quota on this one.

Davis (Bush): Got about 15 nice-looking seeds off this. Granted, I only started with like 5 or 6 seeds, but still...

Schoko Flecken (Bush): Please let's not talk about this one. ...Actually, I just opened the envelope, and they're not as awful as I remembered, and slightly more numerous. Score!

Lila Stuart (Bush): Harvested maybe 50 beans total. I had to harvest them all wet, and they dried down okay, but they just look gross.

Ojibwe Black (Semi-Runner): Total crop failure. I blame the triplet baby squirrels in the backyard. They even ended up kicking their own mother out of her tree and banishing her to the front yard. This is what happens when children don't have boundaries. (No evidence to support this bean-destruction theory, but you might as well blame *someone*.) Hopefully Russ had more than what he sent me.

And whoever I promised Benishibori to (I think it was Russ?), they also had to get harvested wet and turned out looking disgusting.

(Cue movie-announcer voice here:) THE 2020 PLAN!

Given their horrific appearance and general lack of quantity, I'm just going to keep most of these to grow out next year. I'm also going to be moving at the beginning of the year; while I'm hopeful I'll have a better growing space by the time the 2020 growing seasons starts, we all know how that really goes....

Russ, about the only beans I feel okay sending are the Galloway... do you want me to send those now, or wait and send the results of a second grow-out next year? I guess I could send a few of the others, but the one I have in any sort of quantity are not a quality you'd ever want to send out to anyone else.

Latest posts