2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, about the only beans I feel okay sending are the Galloway... do you want me to send those now, or wait and send the results of a second grow-out next year? I guess I could send a few of the others, but the one I have in any sort of quantity are not a quality you'd ever want to send out to anyone else.

Saritabee, just keep everything and regrow. You can send a return in 2020. A lot of people had a bad time with beans this year. Was not a great bean year.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #19

Ohio Pole - Pole, Dry

American Indian in origin. I've grown this bean as far back as the early 1980's. The amazing thing about this years grow out is that the bean grew in the same soil and under the same conditions as other pole bean vaieties that struggled and some that did terribly poor. The grow out of Ohio Pole this year was my best all time seed crop of this bean. Not only in quantity, but quality as well. I planted 8 seeds but don't know if I actually had that many plants growing. It's possible I had six plants. My Seed Harvest was: 24.00 ounces (680 grams).

Ohio Pole.JPG

Ohio Pole

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Ojibwe - Bush, Dry

This bean is the product of the Robert Lobitz beans that I have been growing since 2015. The seed coat is somewhat similar to one of my original beans a semi runner named Chickasaw. This bean is a true bush and I believe it has become stable and true breeding.

Ojibwe.JPG

Ojibwe - Bush, Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Osakis - Bush, Dry

This bean is also the product of the Robert Lobitz Legacy beans that I have been growing since 2015. It is also somewhat similar to one of my original semi runner beans named "Choctaw". Except this bean is also a true bush.

Osakis.JPG

Osakis - Bush Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Paul Bunyan Giant - Pole, Snap

I have no idea what the origin of this bean is although I've grown it as early as the early 1980's. It has been traded around Seed Savers Exchange since those days. Long wide pods. It didn't do as well as I've seen it grow in the past years. Seeds have a little bend to them in the center which makes them look a little curved.

Paul Bunyon Giant.JPG

Paul Bunyan Giant - Pole, Snap

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Pecatonica - Bush, Dry

This is one of the outcrossed beans that I got from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. His packet said rougues from Andrew Kent which is a typical horticulral/cranberry bean. I named this bean after a town here in northern Illinois. I had an original bean back in the early 1980's with the same name that I donated to SSE. There was a woman at SSE who used to type up all the bean listings when we sent them in by snail mail. The days before the internet. Well she would make a typo once in awhile and never go back and proof read her typing. Those mistakes became a permanent record in their data base. She had a ton of these listings to type up for their yearbook every autumn and had to get it done so they could put out the printed yearbook by February. So I'm not surprised that she wouldn't go back and correct little mistakes. So I never realized that she had made a typing error on the bean Pecatonica. When I rejoined SSE in 2012 I got curious to see if Pecatonica was still around. Can't find that name in their collection but I found one called Pecatonia. Only the missing letter c in the name is the difference. I could try to tell this to SSE but after all these years they would never believe it. So what the heck. I'm using the name Pecatonica all over again on a new not yet stable bean.

Pecatonica.JPG

Pecatonica - Bush, Dry

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #18

Mrociumere Off Type - Bush, Dry

I found this sort of gold colored bean among Mrociumere about two years ago, but didn't try growing it until this year. Interesting looking bean. I produces a longer and rounded bean of the same color and produced a rounded seed of a different color which is hard to describe. Also got a solid gold colored bean from it too. I will grow out this bean more. I didn't have many plants of this bean growing maybe 4 or 5 plants. It seems really very productive. Total Seed Harvest 7.85 ounces (222 grams)

View attachment 33683

View attachment 33684

View attachment 33685

View attachment 33686

that is a lighter tan and less busy version of Monster (Monster is more olive colored green). very nice looking!

unfortunately it looks like you had happen what happened to me with Monster. all of the seeds i planted none gave back Monster, but did give back similar beans to yours including that it also gave back one of the parent beans (i.e. i got back Dappled Grey). i think i have about seven off types from Monster. all of them large, sturdy bush beans. some of them not very productive and a few very productive (but not all that interesting beans).

when i get my setup going for pictures i'll do a family tree shot.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #18

Pecatonica - Bush, Dry

This is one of the outcrossed beans that I got from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. His packet said rougues from Andrew Kent which is a typical horticulral/cranberry bean. I named this bean after a town here in northern Illinois. I had an original bean back in the early 1980's with the same name that I donated to SSE. There was a woman at SSE who used to type up all the bean listings when we sent them in by snail mail. The days before the internet. Well she would make a typo once in awhile and never go back and proof read her typing. Those mistakes became a permanent record in their data base. She had a ton of these listings to type up for their yearbook every autumn and had to get it done so they could put out the printed yearbook by February. So I'm not surprised that she wouldn't go back and correct little mistakes. So I never realized that she had made a typing error on the bean Pecatonica. When I rejoined SSE in 2012 I got curious to see if Pecatonica was still around. Can't find that name in their collection but I found one called Pecatonia. Only the missing letter c in the name is the difference. I could try to tell this to SSE but after all these years they would never believe it. So what the heck. I'm using the name Pecatonica all over again on a new not yet stable bean.

View attachment 33709
Pecatonica - Bush, Dry

so much intersting things comes from the off types and culls. :) i need more acreage... *sigh* :)

that is where Lemon Slice came from and now Lemon Slice has thrown a few more just to keep things fun.

when i'm sorting i usually set aside a small container of odd things i notice as i'm going along. i seem to be able to visually pick out quite a bit of what is happening because i sure do get a lot of odd crosses and such showing up when i grow those selections out. sometimes the cue is as simple as an odd shape or the seed is slightly larger or smaller than the others in that batch.

another example similar to what happened with your above Mrociumere off type is that i planted a bean i called Dominoes which is similar to a bean you have. it spun off about eight different children and also gave me some more Dominoes back, but not nearly as much as i was hoping. i'm glad i cleared some shelf space last winter... :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #20

Peinsipps Zweifarbige - Pole, Dry

Another one of my not so terrific producing beans this year. Pretty bean that I got from my bean trading friend in Liebenfels, Austria. Total Seed Harvest: 5.10 ounces (144 grams).

Peinsipps Zweifarbige.JPG

Peinsipps Zweifarbige - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #20

Penland Family - Pole, Snap

This bean has been grown in Tennessee as far back as the 1860's. It did very well here this summer. Small seeded bean as are many snap beans. Total Seed Harvest: 12.25 ounces (347 grams).

Penland Family.JPG

Penland Family - Pole, Snap

Latest posts