2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #20

Peruvian Goose - Pole, Dry

I got this bean in 2011 from a former SSE member who gardens in Colorado at the altitude of 6,500 feet. The first two times I grew this bean it grew well, but not this year. The seed was such a scant amount and the seeds shrivelled so much I just threw them all out. Total Seed Harvest: .40 ounce (11 grams)

Peruvian Goose.JPG

Peruvian Goose - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Pink Trout - Bush, Dry

An original bean from the collection of former SSE member the late Ernest B. Dana of Etna New Hampshire. The bean goes back into the late 1970's. Grown in the right soil it looks really nice. Almost a cotton candy pink when harvest new. I didn't get a lot of seed this year because of heavy rain at planting time which rotted most of the planted seed. Total Seed Harvest: 1.60 ounces (45 grams).

Pink Trout.JPG

Pink Trout - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Possum Trot - Bush, Dry

A newer original bean of mine discovered as a segregation of another outcross in 2014. This bean seemed stable this year for the first time. Total Seed Harvest: 9.45 ounces (268 grams). Possum Trot is the name of towns in five different states. Possum Trot, California is the property where folk artist Calvin Black created and displayed his dolls. It is a plan of a house in two parts with a breezeway between. It is also a sign hanging over a dealers booth in an antique store in Ocala, Florida.

Possum Trot #2.JPG

Possum Trot - Bush, Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #21

Prairie Grove - Pole, Dry, Snap?

One of the Many Will Bonsall outcross sent by him in 2015. Was WB-PKT #40. There was a network grower in 2015 who grew beans that year and did a very nice job of it. The next year the grower wanted 6 of the Will Bonsall unnamed beans to grow, but did not return them in 2016. After no return again in 2017 I asked that the seed be returned but no commuication anymore from this person. In late 2018 I realized that I still had some seed of four of the six beans that I sent this grower. So this year in 2019 I was going to take a chance on planting some of the seed of each of them. All four of them grew. So I gave them names. This one did fairly well producing 7.50 ounces of seed (212 grams). Don't know what it's best use is yet.

prairie-grove-bean.JPG

Prairie Grove - Pole, Dry, Snap?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Purple Face Outcross - Semi Runner, Dry

An outcross found in 2018 that sort of looks a little similar to Karachaganck with smaller and more elongated seed. The bean put out three segregations (photos 2, 3 and 4) this year each of which I doubt I will bother growing. The majority of the seed looks like the outcross I found last year. The entire seed crop of the grow out was 5.50 ounces (155 grams)

Purple Face OC #1.JPG

Purple Face Outcross

Purple Face Seg #1.JPG

Purple Face segregation #1

Purple Face OC Seg #1.JPG

Purple Face segregation #2

Purple Face OC Seg #2.JPG

Purple Face segregation #3

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Purple Jester - Semi Runner, Dry

Found this bean in the semi runner Orca in 2011. The bean looks and grows exactly like Purple Face. It also put out two segregations similar to two of the ones that came from Purple face this year. A solid black bean and a white one with a large black eye patch. I did not photo either of the segregations. The entire grow out including segregations produced 20.80 ounces (589 grams).

Purple Jester #1.JPG

Purple Jester - Semi Runner, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Purple Trout - Bush, Dry

A bean that I've been working on since 2013. Found it after a 2012 grow out of White Robin. It produced a solid brown off type in 2014 but nothing before or since. Planted 10 seeds and it produced 7.60 ounces (215 grams)

Purple Trout.JPG

Purple Trout - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Rabbit's Foot Segregation #1 - Semi Runner, Dry

The bean looks a bit different than it's past versions. It had a larger eye patch, but seems to be receding into more of a soldier figure in black. This year grow out produce mostly what it looks like this year and two off types. One in black and one in brown. Photos 2 & 3. Total Seed Harvest: 11 ounces (311 grams)

Rabbit's Foot Seg #1.JPG

Rabbit Foot Segregation #1

Rabbit's Foot Seg 1 - #1.JPG

2019 Rabbit's foot Off type - Semi Runner

Rabbit's Foot Seg 1 - #2.JPG

2019 Rabbit's foot Off type - Semi Runner

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This week I received another two Polish landrace beans.

Jeżycka (Yezhytska) - runner bean in Scarlet type, huge seeds. Bought by my friend from the Polish gardening forum at the Jeżycki Market in Poznań city (central-west Poland). Named by her.

JeżyckaTEBN.jpg

Malinka (Raspberry affectionately) - I found two types of seeds, oval and more flattened oblong, but ultimately I will not separate them.

MalinkaTEBN.jpg

Malinka1TEBN.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts